• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Encapping Stairways
I have some really soiled steps in a commercial entry way to clean. I would normally HWE this but there is not convenient parking and I hate using the portable. The drill/driver attachment doesn't look like it would be aggressive enough and I don't think I can justify the expense of the Duo. What other options do I have? 
Going the cheap route will not get the best results-----stick with the tools you have until you are ready to do a better job. Better tools pay for more referrals from customers

Micro fiber pads with scrub strips and then absorbent micro fiber pads will scrub and absorb soil and do less tip blooming compared to cotton bonnets.----need a velcro pad driver type machine
Any cheap oscillating car buffer works but the motors bogg down when applying pressure

The good the bad and the ugly------- machines---- $350--$600---- plus pads
Hos micro here at excellent supply is the best for your back--------after any brush aggitation you need to run absorbent pads---not sure how many pad options without a velcro driver

Stepson with glad pads from trsorg.com strong motor larger orbit than car buffers or the small oreck orbitor and works good ----- hard on your back if you do a lot of stairs---can run with 21 inch pads up to handles

oreck orbitor with handle works good and you can stand up and do carpet riser from above each step----but motor boggs down and can not put a lot of pressure on carpet -----need 13-15 inch pads

I have better results using multiple pads on stairs then using my truckmount with stair tools------videos on youtube-------hoppecarpet
I forgot to mention micro fiber pads are good for residential stairs and commercial stairs but gray fiber pads are great for commercial stairs too maybe better than brushes since they agitate and take in a little dirt up into pad.
This area hadn't been vacuumed in a year so I spent a couple hours doing just that. If I needed more soil removal I would use my HWE system but I'm just interested in making it look nicer now. I think a good encap would do the trick. Maybe I'll try my Milwaukee Hole Haug(heavy duty 1/2" drill). It is a 2 speed (300/ 1200rpm) that is quite heavy so I don't think much pressure would be needed. Is 300 rpm to fast to turn pad driver?
Commercial carpet will not tip bloom like residential carpet but if fibers get dry while you are padding at 300 rpm you could burn carpet.
Keep wet if using a rotary machine even a small one. Not sure if any wool pads are available for small machines but wool or microfiber pads would be safer to use to dry and absorb if you wanted to try and attempt to dry up the carpet with out burning if the fiber is olefin which is heat sensitive. Bonnetpro has some photos of what happens when you burn carpet with pads using a rotary machine.
I echo Joel's recommendation above - the little Oreck Orbiter is a mighty handy tool. Highly recommended. It can be useful for stairs and getting into tight areas. Plus it'll take up very little floor space in your truck. If you're interested (no we don't sell them) you can find them online pretty readily. We do carry 12" pads for them.

Another option that also works well is the Drill Driver. You can attach an 8" FiberPlus pad or a Tuway bonnet. Zippadeedooda!
http://www.excellent-supply.com/8-inch-D..._p_10.html
I have DS2 and 8" Fiber Plus Pads. Just ordered a Drill Driver and a gallon of Punch. I have never used Punch before so tell me what the procedure would look like using these tools ie. pre-spray Punch, dwell time, spray DS2 and pad?
I presprayed Punch and let dwell a little then sprayed down some DS2 and scrubbed it in with a Windsor Drimatic. Worked great on the landing areas. The pad driver on my Milwaukee Hole Haug worked great on the steps(300rpms was not at all to fast). I toweled the bulb nose for a bit more soil removal. This was not nearly as efficient as HWE but under the circumstances was a good alternative.
I actually use the heck out of the Zebra brush for steps, comes in handy and works well for me. Little elbow grease needed but agitates the carpet more then you would think,, in a good way.
The HOS Micro Orbot works well too...
http://www.excellent-supply.com/HOS-Orbo...p_357.html

It's pricier than the Drill Driver option, but it's a really nice tool!
I agree with many of the above comments, ESPECIALLY re the HOS Micro Orbot.

Using the extension pole takes away any strain on the back.

PLUS the pole allows you to clean the risers as well as the treads with little or no bending.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
 I use a two step process with stairs. First I will use more small spot extractor with just hot water to get the grime out and then I will use an encap solution and my Oreck Orbitor. Works great.
The little Oreck Orbiter works great on steps.