• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe detergents
I'm thinking of taking both myself and my 1984 vintage VonSchrader VS1 out of retirement. Since we have as a pet, a Green Cheeks Conure (sort of a midget parrot that doesn't talk, at least not in english) and since this bird and possibly all tropical birds have extremely sensitive and delicate breathing apparatus, I need to know what detergent would be safe for me to use at home without endangering my little buddy. I'd be grateful for any advise.  Thanks
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Hi Bob ,

I am pretty sure that DS2 from Excellent Supply would be safe. I to use a Vonschrader LMX on a lot of jobs and have never had a problem with there Red or Blue label dry foam.

I did try for the first time DS2 in my LMX and it did a real good job. I am not sure that Vonschrader's detergents encapsulate as well as Excellent Supply's do.  In a lot of cases I will use a two step process.

First I will go over the carpet with my Vonschrader and then go back over it with a 2nd time with my duel speed 175/300 rotary buffer. Of course the 2nd time I spray an Encapsu;lation detergent over it before I use the rotary.

As a Vonschrader user , what did you use to get traffic lanes clean ?
(09-27-2015, 09:03 AM)MikeHabib Wrote: Hi Bob ,

I am pretty sure that DS2 from Excellent Supply would be safe. I to use a Vonschrader LMX on a lot of jobs and have never had a problem with there Red or Blue label dry foam.

I did try for the first time DS2 in my LMX and it did a real good job. I am not sure that Vonschrader's detergents encapsulate as well as Excellent Supply's do.  In a lot of cases I will use a two step process.

First I will go over the carpet with my Vonschrader and then go back over it with a 2nd time with my duel speed 175/300 rotary buffer. Of course the 2nd time I spray an Encapsu;lation detergent over it before I use the rotary.

As a Vonschrader user , what did you use to get traffic lanes clean ?

Since my machine has never been used commercially (it wasn't planned that way) I never worried about traffic lanes and am not even sure what they are.
Here's the scoop: In 1984 my oldest son, who graduated HS that year, was not real interested in college but wanted to start his own business.  I had been reading Von Schrader ads in magazines for years and suggested he give it a try; I'd buy the machine and he would do the work.  Took him less than a month to decide that college looked pretty good after all.  Long story short, he has his own insurance agency and I have a semi-retired VS1.
I'm getting tired of retirement and hauling the old machine out and adding wheels at the back in place of the wretched roller and start work with it is beginning to look like a possibility to at least keep myself busy.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Bob ,

Traffic lanes are usually in front of sofa's and in the hallways. I do a lot of trashed rentals and they can be real hard to get out. My suggestion would be for you to purchase either an Orbital or Rotary machine to help with the real bad ones. Also, if you are going to focus on commercial, look into Encapsulation cleaning.

The chemicals that are produced today are much better than what was available in the 80 's.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the responses,

As I mentioned above, I'm exhuming a 1984 VS1. I want to replace the PITA rear roller with wheels like the LMX has. Does anyone know the diameter of those wheels, I'm guessing about 6" to 7"

I know Von Schrader offers a conversion kit but as I recall it's expensive. And anyway, they didn't answer my request for info.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Hi Bob ,

I am surprised that they did not respond. Call George at VS. I'll go by my storage unit on Sunday and measure mine. I work full time in car sales and with it being the end of the month I will not have a chance until then.