• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sock fluff traffic lanes
Still new to the whole encap game but getting more and more confident with it. One of my nemesis at the moment however is sock fluff on traffic lanes. No matter how much scrubbing I do they look black and horrible.
Currently using a 175+tank with a multibrush which has a white vct pad inside and bristles outside. I then go over with microfibre pads.
Would a CRB agitation help with this problem?
What you are most likely seeing is what is called pile distortion. What happens is the very top of the carpet fiber is damaged and no mater what you do it is still going to look dirty.
One way to tell is after you have cleaned it , take a small amount of your cleaner , spray it on a small area and rub it with a white cloth. If you see dirt on your cloth you need to
clean it again.

With Encapsulation cleaning , I have found on the real bad ones that you may need to go over it several time. Hope this helps.
It did have a bit of distortion and heavy matting etc in the traffic lane. Upon closer inspection I did see a lot of black fuzzy buts u could pick out by hand which led me to the assumption of sock fluff or something else.
It sounds like your "white vct pad" is leaving frays of fuzz. A rotary machine, on residential carpet, can create distortion. Perhaps you're going over the heavily soiled areas too intensely for the carpet and yore seeing some distortion. And perhaps you're leaving behind frays of your pad on the tips of the fiber. That's what it sounds like at least.
Marsonpee, you may be dealing with very fine pet hair, or even carpet fluff that was matted down and now surfacing as you clean. Try a couple of things: vacuum with a beater brush, or use a rubber squeegee to rake at the fuzz. If either technique helps, then keep doing it. If neither helps, use a red pad or a brown pad to damp scrub it again. They have just enough grab to tug that fine stuff out of the carpet nap, but you have to clean the fuzz off the pad every so often.

Remember that hair isn't smooth, it is barbed and can embed itself quite effectively, so be patient. Good luck!
With Respect,
Stephen
When I looked closed it definitely seemed to be fuzz like, it was already there before I started but didn't really improve much. Thanks for the pointers, liking the idea of the rubber squeegee. I use a Sebo for my prevac which has a beater bar, they do however do stiffer brushes for it which may help in the future I wonder.
rubber brush/squeegee ordered Smile