• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOS Orbot compared to Vario 2 SS
How would an Orbit with spray system compare to the Vario Ii SS as far as cleaning ability and speed or efficiency.  Forgive me but I don't know specs as far as rpm's or throw of the orbit on both machines or even weight.

I'm looking at really going after the commercial market and considering picking up some used VLM equipment to start.  Trying to decide if its better to spend a lot more money for a used Orbit or if a Vario will do as good a job or a close second that most people would not notice a difference and put the difference into chems, pads, and marketing until I'm able to afford heavier or more robust OP equipment.

Thank you,
Captain Morgan
Hello Captain,

Both machines are quite good. We sold Orbot machines for several years. I happen to think they're great! But the price has gotten a little steep in the past couple of years. The Vario is practically half the cost of the Orbot.

Regarding the orbits per minute - they're identical (1725 oscillations per minute). The width/throw of the orbit is the same too.

I like the smoothness of the Vario over the Orbot. I like the polished aluminum and chrome of the Vario over the Orbot's painted steel surfaces (the paint chips and rusts). And I like the price of the Vario. Bang for the buck, I think it's hard to beat what the Vario offers. But the Orobt is a fine machine too. Either one would serve you quite well.

P.S. The Vario also comes with a Leeson motor. That's what Cimex uses too. Leeson makes one of the best industrial motors on the market today.
I have an Orbot. No trouble with it.
If I had to buy a new orbital now I would have no problem buying a Vario.
If Rick sells it. It works! Period.
Thank you both for your comments and opinions. I appreciate the information. All things being equal, I may be leaning a little more towards the Vario since it is more budget friendly.
Interesting  thing happened today. We had an Orbot machine in our shop for servicing. Well this thread came to mind. So we went ahead and compared the head weight of the Orbot to the head weight of a Vario. We placed the rear wheels of each machine onto a wooden pallet to balance out the machines.  And we rested the head of each machine onto our shipping scale. Here are the results...

The Orbot: 43.6 LB (Not bad)

[Image: head-weight-orbot.jpg]

The Vario: 63 LB

[Image: head-weight-vario.jpg]

Frankly, we were kind of surprised. I never would have expected the Vario's head to weigh 45% more than the Orbot.
That poor Orbot looks rat nasty!
That is impressive..thanks Rick. 
Maybe you can answer another question Rick?  Can a Vario be really retro fitted with a.spray.system and if so, what's the cost?

Thanks,
 Captain Morgan
The original Vario could be retrofitted. It's a project though. 

The Vario2 comes with the onboard spray system.
Oh, OK.. I thought the spray system was an add-on option and the difference between the Vario and Vario II was, the V2 was a bigger version of the V.

Clear as mud right...?
(02-09-2016, 10:16 PM)encapman Wrote: Interesting  thing happened today. We had an Orbot machine in our shop for servicing. Well this thread came to mind. So we went ahead and compared the head weight of the Orbot to the head weight of a Vario. We placed the rear wheels of each machine onto a wooden pallet to balance out the machines.  And we rested the head of each machine onto our shipping scale. Here are the results...

The Orbot: 43.6 LB (Not bad)

[Image: head-weight-orbot.jpg]

The Vario: 63 LB

[Image: head-weight-vario.jpg]

Frankly, we were kind of surprised. I never would have expected the Vario's head to weigh 45% more than the Orbot.

The vario is one sharp looking machine!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Agree , Looks sharp and will stay looking sharp too far longer than the Orbot.
I really try to take care of mine, but keeping it inside a van with moisture really attacks these machines.
I have one that was sandblasted (the blue deck) and powdercoated and within a year it rusted again.
Also the spray tip mounts are prone to rusting quickly. Paint peeled right off when hosing off.
I recently fabricated a new aluminum deck for one of ours (1/4" thick 6061) and two new aluminum spray tip mounts too. All new stainless bolts too.
Next machine will be the Vario2
[Image: orbot%20side%20new_zpsmlkrvxw3.jpg]
[Image: Orbot%20front%20new_zpss3axh6eu.jpg]
[Image: orbot%20underside%20new_zpsw0auiosq.jpg]
[Image: Orbot%20deck%20rust_zps64ynveby.jpg]
You Rock Michael! You got that Orbot looking good!
The white plastic mounting pads for the weights clean up nicely too with a sander and fine grit paper. (should have took photos afterwards)
both are very good machines but I did notice that the Vario had weights on it and the orbot did not, Just saying. I actually have a vario and it is a nice machine and works good, however mine does not have an on board spray system