• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help! Pooling/Shading question
I'm working on a huge 30k sq ft job and there are a few areas that show signs of pooling/shading. I'm 99% sure its not a stain, as I cleaned using my cimex and encap hydrox (and went back over it the next night with my procaps machine and bioencap to make sure it wasn't hydrox residue). I'm wondering if either a)going over the area again with the cimex and wet pads with no solution or b)going over it with an extractor will change it or, as I have seen in doing research about pooling, its just something that nothing can be done about. I'm already thinking that I will need to find a local carpet person to go in with me and explain that this isn't some damage that I have caused.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?
Just a thought.

If it was there prior to you commencing and it's not a stain, which from your description it doesn't sound like it is, then it may be "Pile Reversal"

You most likely already know this info (but just in case) If it is "Pile Reversal" it's a phenomenon that occurs randomly in carpet and there is nothing you or anyone else can do about it unfortunately. There is no fix for it and no-one even knows why it occurs.

If it was only there after you cleaned then I don't know the answer to that one. Maybe Rick or one of the other fellows will be able to help.
I am sure Rick will help but in the mean time can you post a picture.

First was it noticeable before the cleaning?

Second, stop going over it with everything under the sun, you don't want to mix chems such as Releasit with another mfg, though I am sure they will not hurt one another they might cancel each other out.

Third, where are these areas at, near a desk or work station, near vending machines, when you come out of a room, more details would help us help you.

But for now don't panic, stop trying to fix it and give us more info.
As mentioned above, pooling, shading and watermarking are irreversible conditions that can commonly occur with commercial cut pile carpet. These varying types of distortion often show up in pivot areas like near drinking fountains, tops of stairs, elevator landings, etc. But they can occur randomly too. Because there's often a variety of factors contributing to these conditions it's not normally even considered a product failure. It's not generally brought about by improper care or cleaning either. These texture oddities are a part of the commercial carpet landscape, and sometimes the client just needs to be educated about it.
the area in question did not have that appearance when I started cleaning. after the first night I noticed that the area was darker than the surroundings and it wasn't that big. It got slightly bigger when I went over it the second night. I won't be able to provide a pic until I return tomorrow. I plan to visit during the day before I return tomorrow night to finish the remaining areas.
the area in question is in a hallway going to three large office spaces, and occurs right next to a transition from a solid colored carpet to a patterned carpet. So its an area that many people will pass over daily.
It's hard to tell without seeing it. Could it possibly be wicking?
I agree, wicking. At one point there must have been a spill or something then whey you cleaned it you brought it back to life.
the solution was so elementary I'm almost embarassed to that I didn't figure it out sooner. After having an epiphany, doing an eye-to-carpet inspection, and literally closing my eyes to feel the carpet nap, I realized the shading was from carpet wear. The carpet nap in the areas where people dont' walk popped up during the cleaning (sidenote--i actually used my procaps machine the last two nights), while there wasn't enough nap in the worn paths to pop up. did the walkthrough with the customer today and he wasn't surprised at all. He was very satisfied with the job and we'll be scheduling regular cleanings for the most used areas in the coming days.
Good, makes you feel good when something works out. Big Grin
Glad that worked out for you. I was sweating bullets for you man!