• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upholstery cleaning
Hello,

How do you clean upholstery using encapsulation scheme or VLM method? I've read about special equipment (Von Schrader) that some swear by and just as many curse it.  I've also read some using small hand held rotary polishers but then they have to make their own pads or bonnets to fit them because they are using a woodworking tool for cleaning upholstery.  

Is the best place to go to get equipment for upholstery cleaning is to go to the automotive interior cleaning route? Is this too aggressive for living room upholsteries and finer fabric coverings?  I recall seeing a guy using a big 7 or 10 inch car polisher to clean banquet chairs on YouTube.  It looked like it did tbe job but I couldn't get the picture out of my mind that the guy had just finished washing and waxing a car in the parking lot prior to making his video. LOL I also thought he was going to burn through the material...but that's where my ignorance probably comes into play...

Should I look at mitts, sponges and hand held pads and dry foam upholstery cleaning chems or products?

Thank you to all who respond to help bring me up to speed.
Have a good day
Upholstery can serviced very well using a small portable spotting extractor. Here is an excellent one... http://www.excellent-supply.com/Gecko-Sp...p_249.html

If you'd like to do Low Moisture cleaning. An easy process is to lightly pre-spray the piece with Encap-Clean DS2 or with Encap-HydrOx.
Next give it a light pre-scrub with the Rota Brush. http://www.excellent-supply.com/Rota-Dri..._p_15.html
And then wipe off the piece with a terry or microfiber towel. Or use an upholstery mitt. http://www.excellent-supply.com/8-inch-B...p_479.html
I have had great results on upholstery when using 12x12 thick micro fiber  cloths on  orbital machines of different sizes.  The micro fiber can remove more soil than a vacuum if you use 5 -10 cloths on heavy soiled areas and the cloths will not damage fiber when using an orbital machine.

You commented that you feel using a small sander will look unprofessional so I would recommend  you stick with what you are using now.

I test and try many methods and machines and have wasted much money on high priced equipment. I test and then use what can get results. If method removes soil and stains and dries fast and does not damage the $10,000 sofas I clean then i use what works best.  I have found customers prefer the best end result over some equipment that I thought was impressive.
You can check out some equipment on my channel that I have sold.

You can check out my youtube channel if you want to see some possibilities. I would recommend learning more about the the right low ph products  to use and how to dry fiber fast  and groom it over the type machine you are using on the fibers.  I will not list products i use because they are not from excellant supply-----you can find low ph encap products online and plant based ones too so you are not leaving solvents and chemicals on fibers.

Here is a feces stain on furniture. I used silver and peroxide and encap product to clean this by repeating the process----the vac would not take out the stain.
I have cleaned plenty of upholstery with Releasit and never had a problem. I used EncapDS & Encap Basic.
Mix your solution in a pail. Purchase a couple of microfiber sponges at Walmart. Apply solution to upholstery.  You will need a softer bristle brush to lightly scrub the real dirty areas.  I always use to HWE the upholstery when finished. 

Upholstery cleaning is not like cleaning carpet. Learn your fabrics first before you start to pay for customers furniture. 
Thank you Joel and Charles for your advice,

I've cleaned upholstery with a truck mount and the majority of my business has been residential.  I want to get into and grow the commercial side to balance.my business overall AND focusing on VLM methods of carpet and upholstery cleaning for both resi and comm. 

So I have a lot to learn about VLM methods of upholstery cleaning in general. I'm familiar with most methods of VLM carpet cleaning and equipment but not the chemistry, which pad to use.for different fibers and soil removal. So I have to ask a lot of dumb questions that most of you will think.are very basic.  

Joel, I will check out your YouTube channel and can't wait to review your videos. That Stepson really makes life simple.  I'll have to slowly work my way up to that baby!  Charles, I appreciate your vote of confidence in the Releaseit line of chemicals.  I really do need a refresher on fiber identification because I have been out of the business for a while and am looking to relaunch in the next few months.

Thanks again,
Captain Morgan