• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sandy
How are you guys preparing for what they're calling a monster storm? The largest tropical storm to hit the USA. For your northerners who are new to all this, as a born and raised Floridian, I can tell you that I've experienced a few tropical storms and hurricanes, and a Cat 1 is not so serious. But the storm surge is what they expect will cause the trouble. And the sheer size of this storm is also a big concern. It's huge! So I'm just hoping all of you will be safe! Let us hear how you're planning to ride this out. Be cautious. And enjoy your hurricane parties.
I agree with Rick. All you folks in the path be safe and bunker in!!!!!!!!
I just made sure my generator is working and filled up my vans parked them where no trees are around
This is going to be a devastating storm for the northeast. Don't go to hurricane parties! Stay hunkered down and be safe. God Bless!
Well I live in South Jersey and it's raining with some wind but not much, I live about 30 miles from Atlantic City.

We have some water stocked up, matches, candles and some food. I hope we don't get hit to hard. Say the coast is suppose to really get it.
You guys be careful. It looks like this is shaping up to be a MEAN storm.

Excerpts from CNN...
CNN Story

"It could be bad," said U.S. Coast Guard Rear Adm. Steven Rattior, "or it could be devastation."

The National Grid, which provides power to millions of customers, said 60 million people could be affected.

The predicted impact extends beyond the East Coast. Wave heights in Lake Michigan could reach 28 feet Monday night and 31 feet by Tuesday, the National Weather Service said.

Based on pressure readings, Sandy is likely to be the strongest storm to make landfall north of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, said CNN senior meteorologist Dave Hennen. The benchmark storm, the 1938 "Long Island Express" Hurricane, contained a low pressure reading of 946 millibars. Sandy had a minimum pressure of 943 millibars. Generally speaking, the lower the pressure, the stronger the storm.

The area of tropical storm-force winds extended nearly 1,000 miles -- twice the size of Texas. If it were a country, it would be the world's 20th-largest.

According to a government model, Sandy's wind damage alone could cause more than $7 billion in economic loss.

Storm surge -- the combination of a storm and a high tide -- "will cause normally dry areas near the coast to be flooded," the weather service said. It said water depths could reach 6 to 11 feet along Long Island Sound and New York Harbor.

"This is not a typical storm. It could very well be historic in nature and in scope and in magnitude because of the widespread anticipated power outages, flooding and potential major wind damage," Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Corbett said.

"Essentially, this is a hurricane wrapped in a 'nor'easter."

My heart goes out to those in the path of this sucker. Please take shelter and be careful!
in Western NY we shouldn't be hit too badly...i hope. Lake Ontario nearby is supposed to have 20 foot waves...that's nuts! our C.O. is visiting this week to...figures!
Crikey!!!

20 - 30 foot waves in a lake, that is truly unbelievable! I know those lakes are very big but that must be some kind of wind to generate that size wave over that distance.

Be safe guys.
Haven't been keeping up but last I heard its such a monster it caused Oregan and Northern Cali to go on Tsunami alert.
Cleaner Carpet. Cleaner Planet.

If you value life
Do not squander time.
Time is the stuff life is made of.
(10-29-2012, 08:27 PM)Jamie Wrote: Crikey!!!

20 - 30 foot waves in a lake, that is truly unbelievable! I know those lakes are very big but that must be some kind of wind to generate that size wave over that distance.

Be safe guys.

they over-estimated that a bit. the waves were only around 10 feet. the had a mandatory evac of the 2500 shore-line homes in our county though. we were fortunate. not 1 branch in our yard fell. lights flickered a few times and that's it. glad i dont live nearer to the east coast!
Glad to hear you're OK Derek!