• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydrox natural fiber
I read that Hydrox is not recommended for natural fiber. I really like using it on wool area rugs to pop the colors and deal with any pet urine/odor. I have had great success with it and don't want to stop using it. Just wondering if it is a boarder-line call or am I really doing a disservice to my customers?
I agree that it makes the rugs look great! In spite of that, the wool police don't like hydrogen peroxide on wool. Peroxide apparently can damage the wool cuticle. So we take a conservative position. Don't want to get arrested and go to wool prison!
I know, I just did 3 yrs in nylon jail. It's was pretty rough!
Dang reprobates that hang around here! Dodgy
I've been charged. But never convicted!
I always recommend saying " I can neither confirm nor deny the charges" followed by " I would like to speak with my encap lawyer"!
(06-30-2016, 04:51 PM)lee@deepclean.us.com Wrote: I've been charged.   But never convicted!
I always recommend saying " I can neither confirm nor deny the charges" followed by " I would like to speak with my encap lawyer"!

Great!  I'll inevitably be getting a subpoena. Dodgy
The problem using peroxide on wool or other natural fibers is how strong of a mix you use and how often do you clean the fiber.

A 3% solution of peroxide on wool that is just on the surface of the fiber that will be padded off and dried in 20 minutes is different then soaking the rug with a strong mix of peroxide.
Magic wand sells powder oxygen made just for wool rugs------you need to learn about products that have buffering agents
Powder products like sodium percarbonate  or sodium perborate  are different than liquid peroxide on the wool and other natural fibers.

You will have to find out what the % of peroxide is in your mix and what concentration you have when diluting product.
I have not had any problems with encap products boosted with peroxide on natural fibers when I KNOW the mix is 3% peroxide or less.  
Surface cleaning is not the same as soaking fiber with peroxide but repeat cleanings will change the fiber on wool and also can damage the fringe.

Reducing agents are safer for wool and cotton when you are trying to restore a problem or stain on natural fibers

LINK to video

That stain was removed with a low ph product and an oxygen reducing agent.
Strong peroxide mix would work faster but when I have tried that on fibers it can leave the fiber gray or worse bleached out---very touchy with natural fibers.
Some wool rugs are not a problem but you need to test each one and check the dyes on the rug too to see what your product is going to do.
Less strong products and mixes------- and you will have no problem.