• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old man working easier

Among other work today, I had to go to our local race track & clean a couple of areas prior to the races tomorrow.

Both of the areas are open to the elements & vacuuming can be a real pain due to leaves & other rubbish being blown in all the time.

The carpet itself is a horror, direct stick indoor/outdoor carpet which has many areas where the glue has detached from the concrete, both at seams and also throughout the carpet, which is a heavily ribbed carpet.

Anyhow, back to the crux about making it easier.

This job totaled around 750 square metres, (about 8,072.9328125323 square feet) which is not overly big, but can be tiresome on your trigger hand after a few hours.

Many complain of carpal tunnel syndrome, of which, I am lucky having never experienced it.

To make my life easier, rather than holding the trigger release on for a long period of time, I simply removed my 1.5" cuff from my upholstery tool and placed it over the trigger.

I simply remove it at the end of a long run, then replace again when needed.

It may not look crash-hot, but I don't care, it saves this old fella. Tongue

Now, to try & post a pic because my photobucket is playing up worse than my ex; Blush

Dang, can't post a pic, but you guys are clever, so use your imagination. Big Grin

Cool

PS:: It's now 07:00 Saturday morning, tried to do this last night but the footy started. Rolleyes

PPS:: I'll post a pic on the Facebook for Carpet Cleaners.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
The "old man" is a smart guy! Smile

Thanks for sharing. But which trigger are you taking about? The Cimex?
Yes Rick, on the 'Mex;

FINALLY, got one pic uploaded to Photobucket.

[Image: 20160826_171124_zpszhppvtid.jpg]

Shortwun Down Under.
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
OK - Now I'm puzzled. If you keep the trigger pegged wide open, are you be able to control the flow? Normally the trigger is held mostly open on the "wet pass", and then it's feathered/tapped intermittently on the "dry pass". With the trigger held open I'd think you would over-wet the carpet. How are you controlling the solution?
(08-26-2016, 11:35 PM)encapman Wrote: OK - Now I'm puzzled. If you keep the trigger pegged wide open, are you be able to control the flow? Normally the trigger is held mostly open on the "wet pass", and then it's feathered/tapped intermittently on the "dry pass".  With the trigger held open I'd think you would over-wet the carpet. How are you controlling the solution?

By adjusting the tap on the solution line.

It does take a bit of playing with, but I got a happy medium that gave great results.

Check out the carpet that I was doing this on, not your everyday office carpet..

Yes, it does have a slope on it.

I was there a few months back to spot clean  where a couple of horses they brought into the area relieved themselves. Angry

[Image: 20160826_170951_zps0knvyoml.jpg]
Wow Shorty, you do find the interesting ones. And now I see how you tweaked your system. Makes sense. You're a "smart" fella. Smile
By the way, that Mex; is NOT the standard Australian Mex;

Our machines don't come with an on / off switch like yours do, just two levers.

One for motion, the other for solution.

I added the on / off switch so that I also would not be holding the "Motion" trigger on all the time.

Previously, if I just turned the switch on each time, the disc would continually spin in the one direction.

However, each time I fill the tank, with power to the machine but NOT turned on, I flick the original start lever, and it reverses the polarity enabling the disc to turn in the opposite direction when I do actually start to work.

Not really smart, just born lazy. Big Grin 

PS:::: Guess I really disn't explain that trigger thing to good.

I only have the cuff on when laying down solution, take it off for the dry run where I can feather it as needed.

By having a power point in a centre area, I can do a run of about 80' with the trigger on, then come back dry.

Cool