• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caution: Avoid using Procyon with a CRB
Please don't take this as a negative slant toward a competitive product. Procyon has a good reputation and I know a lot of cleaners enjoy using it. By all means, if you like Procyon - keep using it. But DON'T use it with your CRB machine. Procyon will work great in many applications, but it can damage metal parts - like the innards of a CRB machine.

We've heard of serious damage occurring when contractors use Procyon with their CRB machines. Procyon (and a few similar pre-sprays) contain a lot of salt. Salt is corrosive. Corrosives and metal parts are never a good combination. One of our good customers had the habit of using Procyon as a pre-spray, then he'd brush the carpet with his CRB, and rinse with HWE. He destroyed his 10" CRB with this process. That's why it's urgent to issue this warning.

If you use Procyon and don’t flush your machine at the end of the day, you will eventually damage it as the salt will corrode some of the high carbon steel inside. Our recommendation is to avoid using corrosives altogether.

Using corrosive (salt based) products could void your warranty. Worse yet, you may seriously damage your CRB machine. Here's a couple of pictures showing corrosive damage...

[Image: procyon-crb.jpg]
[Image: procyon-crb2.jpg]
Thanks for the update Rick.
That is good info to know!
Do all Procyon products contain sea salt or just the Procyon Extreme Clean?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
The ingredient is Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate. I believe it's in all their products.
While I appreciate the update, I am concerned that it might be to late. I use Procyon, but will stop, since I have owned the machine. That is almost a year now.

It still seems to run fine but it is very difficult to remove the bars that release the brush heads.

Would this be part of the corrosive issues?

Was this information outlined in the original warranty?

I can see it voiding warranties going forward. I don't see how it can void warranties for past use if warranty limitation was not in effect.

I also thought this was a water tight system, why is the cleaning solution getting to the internal parts of the machine. It seems like just the moisture being in there could cause a problem?

Please advice
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Corrosive salts can be pretty damaging to metal. We live in Florida, and the salt content in the air is enough to corrode exposed metal objects in the coastal areas. If salt air can effectively corrode metal, there's sufficient salt exposure from the Procyon to corrode the metal components of a CRB machine.

Carpet Cleaner America is the importer of the machines and they're the actual warranty provider. They've been really good about trying to help people who have damaged machines that are within the term of warranty coverage. They want to keep you happy and so do we! If you're having a problem let us know and we will work hard to try to help you get it worked out.
You might want to take your machine apart and clean it up real well. Brush out any corrosion. And treat all of the metal surfaces with a good silicone spray lubricant like WD-40. Make sure that you keep the WD-40 away from bearings (WD-40 will dissolve the grease in the bearings). Let us know if you need any assistance.
(01-18-2017, 04:12 PM)encapman Wrote: Corrosive salts can be pretty damaging to metal. We live in Florida, and the salt content in the air is enough to corrode exposed metal objects in the coastal areas. If salt air can effectively corrode metal, there's sufficient salt exposure from the Procyon to corrode the metal components of a CRB machine.

I thoroughly agree with what Rick has said here, & appreciate his honesty in bringing it to all of our attention.

As a comparison, I service an elite harbor side apartment complex regularly.

According to one resident, I applied a fabric protector to their upholstery over 7 years ago, the upholstery is still in perfect condition as they only use the apartment when they come here for a week every couple of months.

However, all the stainless steel legs on the dining chairs have corroded badly due to the salt in the air.

This apartment is 11 floors above ground level which is also another 2-3 floors above sea level.

Closer inspection of their apartment showed damage to all metal surfaces in the apartment.

This apartment, naturally, is always secured with all doors and windows closed whenever they are absent, and also most times when they are there with a/c on.

Thanks for reminding me & others, of the corrosive effects of salt in the air Rick.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Neil Young said it best .... "Rust (corrosion) never sleeps". When corrosive matter is in the air It just seems to get in to places you would not think likely. Steering clear of corrosive chemicals and some preventative cleaning and maintenance will certainly prolong the life of your equipment.
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020