• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Persian Rug Cleaning with urine stains
I have a 10X12 Persian rug to use for training purposes. It was purchased from a customer who did not want it because her dog kept peeing on it.

In my area we constantly get request to clean Persian and Oriental rugs. I have never taken a chance on cleaning one especially with dog or cat urine.

Is there a way to clean a rug with urine stains at a customer's home are does this type of cleaning need to be done by rug bath?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kron1, you have answered you own question in my humble opinion.

"Is there a way to clean a rug with urine stains at a customer's home or does this type of cleaning need to be done by rug bath?"

This again, in my opinion, is the only successful way to remove urine from an Oriental rug.

Reason being is that the urine salts MUST be neutralized, otherwise in times of high humidity, (rain), they will absorb moisture from the air & off-gas that oh-so familiar odor once again.

I know that there are suppliers in the USA that state they can supply a product that can be used on-site.

We do not get these products in my country, so I cannot comment to their effectiveness.

With many Oriental rugs, there is also the risk of dye bleed, this must be tested prior to any soaking in a soak tank/rug bath.

Hope this helps & I wish you well in your endeavors.

Cool
I don't regret my past, I just regret the times I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or I no longer love what I can do.
Stop moving, start dying........
(09-02-2017, 05:12 PM)Lounge Lizards Wrote: Kron1, you have answered you own question in my humble opinion.

"Is there a way to clean a rug with urine stains at a customer's home or does this type of cleaning need to be done by rug bath?"

This again, in my opinion, is the only successful way to remove urine from an Oriental rug.

Reason being is that the urine salts MUST be neutralized, otherwise in times of high humidity, (rain), they will absorb moisture from the air & off-gas that oh-so familiar odor once again.

I know that there are suppliers in the USA that state they can supply a product that can be used on-site.

We do not get these products in my country, so I cannot comment to their effectiveness.

With many Oriental rugs, there is also the risk of dye bleed, this must be tested prior to any soaking in a soak tank/rug bath.

Hope this helps & I wish you well in your endeavors.

Cool

Thank you for the response!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen to the Aussie, they have a LOT of wool Down Under.

Wool is highly absorbent. And the face fiber can be incredibly dense too. It can be difficult to remove all of the urine residue.

P.S. Wool comes from an animal. So animals are naturally attracted to it. Even if you clean it, it's very likely it'll happen again.
another consideration,

is this a woven rug, with no backing.
OR
a more modern wool rug tufted, and with latex and secondary backing?

But , you do get to play with it. A big plus!

I have on of ;my own. I purchaced it way back. Before I was in this indusrtry.
It is a Karastan. and it has gotten its share of dog soiling. It bled some. It is tufted with latex and a secondary backing. (When I told rug expert this is surprised them, as they did not think Karastan made these.)

Last time I cleaned it, I placed plastic under it (since on wood, and have o where else to do it) and used a urine soak. After cleaning , and with fans on it , it took days to dry completely.
Food for thought about on site cleaning.