• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
have you ever passed up a job because you did not think you would satisfy
I have seen jobs where the carpet was in much need of replacement or it was like a bar with just tons of drinks spilled and was in my mind maybe a no win situation .... have you ever said no to a job because you thought it was a no win ...
not so much as no win as not getting paid for the effort required to return the carpet to a satisfactory level of cleanliness
What Don said.

I usually try to sniff out the troublesome ones.
Life's too short to deal with someone else's craziness.

Take a look at this EncapBlog post that I made on this topic...
Know when to fold 'em
(aka dealing with "crazy" customers)
i only turn down cat urine contamination projects.

i have however done 2 CGD demos since i started encap'ing where the carpet was so bad i couldn't get the appearance to a good enough level to restore it. both times i apologized and went on my way, it happens i don't mind. the carpets were just too far gone and needed replacement.

but i will always say "Yes" to anyone that calls and wants a CGD demo, no matter how abused the carpet is.

the vast majority turn out fantastic if i do say so myself Tongue
great info guys... thanks
I will inform the custy going in to a job with as much info regarding cleaning as possible and keep expectations on the low side so I can be the hero-

if you have bad feelings about any job- my advise is use your discretion but do not be afraid to walk away from it.

I have a gal that is calling me lately to do her furniture and she clearly has mental stress issues. She does not schedule, I do not press the issue, So as I said use your discretion and think twice before doing work you know you will regret.
great point about under-promising.

i never guarantee spot removal but it should look quite a bit better - those are the exact words i use. most do come out 100%, then you look great.

the opposite is also true: if you tell the Client that all spots will be gone - and then you can't remove 1 or 4 of them. now you look like a lamer Tongue
I encouage some people to go with the guy that guarantees to remove cat smell, only I tell them not to pay right away, usually ends up the guarantees everything guy will not go for it unless paid on the job.
the only guarantee I make is that the Customer should expect to be happy, but this comes with all the details and red flags that I see and are communicated beforehand- I love a custy to tell me about their spot the last 2 cleaners could not remove and they tell me not to worry about it, then I either improve upon it or remove it completely, great for credibility and repeat business.
What Don said, above post .I have pissed off a few property managers and have fired a couple of customers and a few realtors 19 yrs and counting you do get to the point where you can only jump so high. Peter B.