• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Apartment complex
I finally cracked the nut on an big apartment complex. I've been calling on several property managers in the area and finally got a call. The first thing they asked was "do you steam clean" It has to be steam cleaning. I was a little off guard since I haven't had anyone ask that for a long time. I said I have access to all methods but I primarily use a low moisture oscillating absorbent pad system that produces excellent results and dries quickly.
He said well I'm sorry to waste your time...so I said " If you'd be interested in a free demo, I'd be glad to come out"...Now he asked what I'd charge for a 1 bedroom unit. 1 bedroom and small living room...I gave him an approx price after explaining that I don't usually do sight unseen pricing (but in this case I just wanted to get in the door) So long story short, I think the only reason some people ask if you do "steam " cleaning is because they don't know what else to ask.
I'm doing 2 apartments tomorrow and hopefully many more soon.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
Hey Mike, once he see's what you can do you will change his mind. Be careful they always look for the cheapest price and they have no loyalty. I had several complexes and ther is always someone coming in low balling you, JMO
I cleaned my last apartment complex 15 years ago- I have done so many many apartments-
the managers want cheap, do not care if the property mgmt. pays you, and yes, no loyalty, So I decided years ago that residential was going to be my focus. I still do apartments but for the tenant and not the manager, at my current prices, and no scrimping on quality.
Yeah I'm sure apartments aren't ideal but this is my first year full time so it's a way to have more steady work in slow months. Actually this place is paying really well, it's a nice senior center. Carpets were barely dirty, decent people so far.
I'm focusing on fairly upscale senior and assisted living apartments.
Did this job this morning and it turned out great!
Mike Becker
Apartments are a good source of income, but if they do not pay on time or play games with missing invoices ect, be on top of the potential issues that can arise.
Most cleaners can tell you horror stories about working for these type of accounts
We still do a few but only the ones that pay us on a regular basis
Good luck with it and let us know what they say.

(03-24-2013, 09:11 PM)MikeB Wrote: I finally cracked the nut on an big apartment complex. I've been calling on several property managers in the area and finally got a call. The first thing they asked was "do you steam clean" It has to be steam cleaning. I was a little off guard since I haven't had anyone ask that for a long time. I said I have access to all methods but I primarily use a low moisture oscillating absorbent pad system that produces excellent results and dries quickly.
He said well I'm sorry to waste your time...so I said " If you'd be interested in a free demo, I'd be glad to come out"...Now he asked what I'd charge for a 1 bedroom unit. 1 bedroom and small living room...I gave him an approx price after explaining that I don't usually do sight unseen pricing (but in this case I just wanted to get in the door) So long story short, I think the only reason some people ask if you do "steam " cleaning is because they don't know what else to ask.
I'm doing 2 apartments tomorrow and hopefully many more soon.
Mike that is great that you were able to give a demo. Once they see a comparison of what they were getting you should have a chance to win their work.
Other posts are right on with the no loyalty . To their way of thinking carpet cleaners are on all the corners looking for work.
This is one way we show them value with our services we offer 100% turn overs to include cleaning painting repairs along with carpet cleaning It can be a pain when the carpet cleaning season is in full swing but we are slammed every month on the 1st to the 5th and at the end of ea. month. Peter B.Wink
Most apartment complexes here want the units done for 65-75$ max. So right now we aren't doing very many of them. But we are looking at an Orbot or Trinity. So maybe we can go after some more of these. What do you guys normally get on apartments?
BGCD, The ones I did today were both just 2 small rooms each (living room and bdrm) in same complex, ground level. I got $85 each unit (total $170.00) Easy money today and got me in the door. I emailed the invoice with my online system and she responded immediately .....so the management seems efficient and professional at least. So Far so good as long as I get paid...lol
Mike Becker
Yep Mike they are alway good in the begining. Just be careful. Hey maybe you got the exceptional PM company.
I would think with Senior centers/complexes, low-moisture would be a great benefit to showcase, since it would shorten the window of potential slip/fall occurrences when seniors walk from damp carpet onto a hard-surface floor.
As an update, I got the check this morning for the apartment complex job. Paid in a little less than a week! Hopefully I hit on a good property management company here. It would be nice since they have many properties and pay fairly well compared to some.
Mike Becker
Good for you. Good luck!
Yes- sounds like you got a keeper!