• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spambots
This forum seems to be being invaded by SpamBots. Is anything being done to fix it?
Yes there are more Spammers hitting our site. We have Capcha installed for the sign-in to help limit spam, but some still gets through. The new forum is much more visible to search engines and spiders, so I guess this comes with the territory.

All of you can press the "REPORT" button if you see a spam post. That'll help me out. Every spammer gets banned, and their post gets deleted.

I'm hoping we can get the spam to slow down a bit. But it's really not too terrible. It gives me something to do Wink
(07-03-2012, 11:34 PM)encapman Wrote: Thanks Rick....................

"All of you can press the "REPORT" button if you see a spam post. That'll help me out. Every spammer gets banned, and their post gets deleted".

Silly old dummy never realised that. Blush

That save me making unkind remarks. Rolleyes

Shorty
Shorty, you're not a dummy. I only just figured out that we have that 'REPORT" feature - and it's my forum. So who's the dummy? LOL
I've actually sent up a couple to you Rick. My experience has been though that forum spambots actually increase with time if not properly dealt with. I've seen them take over forums. Might ask your web guy for more security or all you will do is delete posts.
I've asked my web guy for more security. It's his next project.

And thanks for reporting the two spam messages to me. They've been banned and deleted.
We have now installed a new feature to the back-end of the forum that's intended to catch spammers before they can post... http://akismet.com/

This should help keep the spam to an acceptably low level.
Seems much better Rick. Thanks!
Spam with toast and eggs taste pretty good on a cold morning. They now have spam with bacon in it.
(07-13-2012, 01:01 PM)jtmellon Wrote: Spam with toast and eggs taste pretty good on a cold morning. They now have spam with bacon in it.
I think that's for the hungry guys that want to PIG out. Big Grin

Sorry mate, couldn't resist.Tongue

Shorty