• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what is Pad capping and OP
I have done neither of these can you explain what these are and the process
"OP" is an oscillating pad machine such as a Challenger or an Orbot. Padcapping is spraying encapsulation detergent directly to the carpet, then using a microfiber, or cotton blend pad to agitate, transferring the soil to the pads. It's all we do in residential, we would offer HWE, but have had so much success padcapping we just keep going, people are always happy. It does limit us in restoration, and other areas though and we need an extraction machine soon.
Anew is right.

in addition, the real answer is padcapping/encap is defined by the end user. ask 5 different VLM CC'ers and you might get 3-4 diff answers.

at least for now OP is the same defined by anyone...wet pads are used to extract the soil / cleaning solution from the carpet.

at least this week it is.

the elder-statesmen in both the OP & encap fields should really give the true answer to this. because the person who made up the term "pad-capping" i think has little to zero experience with it. at least that is how i remember it. i could be wrong.

for noobies, less importance should be given to bad terminology, more importance should be given to how things work.

in further addition, use the Search function. i recommend you look up OP and encap. don't look up the made-up word "padcap."

Search is your friend. Big Grin
Leo, by all means endeavor to find out the different meanings.

BUT, don't try and sell these systems of cleaning to your customers.

Don't try to baffle them with bull-dust, or trick them with terminology.

Sell them clean, healthy, dry carpet.

The way you know best.

Shortwun
I agree with Shorty on not selling method but I initially had the same question when I started encapping about 12 months ago.

Firstly OP is just a type of machine (OP = Oscillating Pad) basically an OP machine is just like a rotary machine but the main difference is that it has a counterweight on the drive shaft that causes an oscillating action (ie: a small circular motion) in addition to the drive plate rotating.
So An OP machine can be used to Encap or Padcap. Basically it's just a tool. As opposed to rotaries OP's more commonly have wheels on the ground that mean you can move the machine straight forward and straight back like a Cimex instead of side to side like a traditional rotary. OP's provide a better clean than a rotary because of the additional oscillating action.

Encap is applying an encapsulation solution via shower feed or pre-spray or through spray jets like the Orbot which is then agitated into the carpet to release the soiling from the carpet to be crystallized away from the carpet fibre upon drying and then vacuumed up once dry (usually by the janitorial staff or home owner if residential). To Encap you can use a Cimex, a rotary, or an OP machine eg: Orbot to achieve this agitation.

Pad capping from my understanding is just an additional process after Encap which uses the same machine (except maybe a Cimex) and an absorbent pad to extract as much soiling (that has been released from the fibre via the initial Encap process) as can be achieved which then leaves less of a soil load for the Encap solution to crystallize and minimizes wick back and maximizes dry times.

I really hope I got that right.

Cheers

Jamie
As the word Padcapping has emerged, by cleaners in the field, I believe that all of the replies above are a correct, as the word is being used. This was a word that emerged from carpet cleaners talking on message boards, so it has taken shape through end users, not from a laboratory at MIT. Wink And as you'd expect from a word that has emerged by end users - there are varying shades of meaning to this term. That's one of the beauties of these message boards - these live discussions give birth to new ideas.

I completely agree with the ways that Padcapping was described in the excellent replies above...

First, Padcapping will be defined differently by different persons. Secondly, Padcapping involves using an encap solution in conjunction with an oscillating pad machine or with a bonnet cleaning system. And thirdly, I've always viewed Padcapping exactly as described in the quote from Jamie below...

(04-06-2013, 07:11 AM)Jamie Wrote: Pad capping from my understanding is just an additional process after Encap which uses the same machine (except maybe a Cimex) and an absorbent pad to extract as much soiling (that has been released from the fibre via the initial Encap process) as can be achieved which then leaves less of a soil load for the Encap solution to crystallize and minimizes wick back and maximizes dry times.

I really hope I got that right.

Cheers

Jamie
Everybody has given great definitions.

OP = Oscillating Pad Machine

Padcapping = Using an absorbent pad (as opposed to a brush or fiber pad) under your machine (could be any type of machine - OP or rotary) while you encap.

I think Jamie has a great definition. Except it's not a step you need to do after you encap. You can spray, dwell or not, and just use an absorbent pad.
great answer... i love not selling method ... thanks guys