• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
orbot vs challenger
that is so nice- I want one like that!!
Here is how I did it for use with a 19" fiber pad

[undefined=undefined][Image: largewheelpic.jpeg][/undefined]
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
both are cool. from the directions, Perry's looks simpler to a chimp like me...no drilling.

Perry, does it work as well as an Orbot on wheels?

any problems with cleaning wheels-down style?
Simple is good. Good thinking Perry!
Mike Becker
It works real well for me on smaller jobs.It is a real work horse,on some berber(in basements) it is a little harder to operate but on cut pile carpet it works great. I decided to buy a defender and that works ok but need a wieght on it for commercial, but not on the challenger. Never tried a Orbot and like to get one but they are pricey in Canada.
But the cimex rules for those long hallways.
Perry, what size pads are you able to use without them hitting the wheels?
That is why I extended my wheels further back. I like to use 19 inch pads.
Mike Becker
ahhh good point Mike, i didn't think of that. makes sense why you altered yours the way you did!

looking forward to Perry's response on his pad size Smile
Yea with the 19" pads the wheels will grab it at certain points so I just use 17" only
Perry, how long would it take me to switch the wheels over, if i already had on hand all the parts you listed?

also, how about along walls/baseboards? isn't there a 1-2 inch gap because the wheels stick out past the edge of the pad driver?
It took me about 3 hrs the first time to get it set up and the bigger wheels on. Then a couple of jobs to get the nuts and thread rod with the right amount of tightness so the wheels will spin freely.
Don't get black wheels like I did they leave marks on light colored berber carpet.That was fun to get those out.
Find some sort of plastic cover to fit over the nuts on the outside of the wheels it will scratch stuff. I never did this yet, been awhile since I used it last and I am going to use it soon.
I could take a closer picture and you can see what it looks like up close of what I did.
I believe I used a 1/2 '' bushing through the new wheel hole and for a spacer where the old wheels were,then I was able to use a 3/8 thread rod cut to fit through the new wheel and through the bracket that was for the old wheel.
Well, I tried Perry's version of the big wheels on my oreck lowboy. Didn't help. It just lifts the 8 inch wheels right off the ground, however it will be much easier to move it up and down stairs nowBig Grin I think Mike's version may do better. Mike, did you have to cut the top off of the casters, or how did you do that?
I just moved the original Challenger wheels back with aluminum brackets bolted through one original wheel bolt hole and an extra hole that i drilled on each wheel well. No cutting involved.
This type of set up works okay if you will be using a fiber pad in a commercial setting, but it's not ideal because the wheels are fixed with the deck so it's tricky to get the proper alignment of the deck in relation to the floor. If it's not aligned well enough the machine fights a bit and the pad doesn't contact completely. I have my bolt holes slotted a little so i can adjust and finesse as needed.
Switching to a cotton pad is not an option with this set up without major adjustments.
The ideal wheels on floor set up is a floating head with wheel assembly locked to the handle, like the Orbot, Trinity, Orbitec and Cimex.
That's what I'm working on now for the Challenger. Cool
Mike Becker
(04-10-2013, 01:35 AM)Lefty724 Wrote: I have also owned both machines and Derek pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

The Challenger is cheap, bullet proof, and does a great job. I could also do stairs with mine. Cleaned just as well as the Orbot, just took a little longer and a little harder to maneuver IMO.

The Orbot is way easier to maneuver and cleans awesome with weights. I had the spray borg and it was also great for commercial work as well.

I think the big factor (IMO) is going to be whether you are mostly occupied residential? If you are, then I suggest the Orbot hands down over any other machine out there. When I had my Orbot and did the occasional occupied home (mostly vacant here), customer would always comment on how awesome the Orbot looked!

If you do mostly vacant homes then the Challenger is the winner IMO. It's light for carrying up stairs and isn't as flashy as the Orbot but does a great job!

FWIW-I am 95% empty homes, vacation rentals, and apartments. I have gone full circle with equipment and am back to using a 175 for all my vlm needs. I can do just a good of a job with the 175 as my OP, it just takes longer. Hope this helps.

Lefty how much longer? And what's your process?
I am thinking I can put 8" wheels on my challenger like Perry did....Are the 8" wheels the perfect size for the deck to lay flat on the surface? And if I used thicker bonnets instead of thin pads, wouldn't that make a difference on how it touches the carpet?(since this machine doesn't have a floating deck)
  Reply   Purge Spammer