• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
orbot vs challenger
Really loving my new cimex. Thinking about using vlm in residential setting.
What is the best machine for this application? Currently t/m only but so pleased with the encap process for CGD I'm curious to experiment with pad capping for resi. work.
Thanks in advance.
I think it's hard to beat the performance and convenience of a Challenger op for residential. Light weight, easy to handle and almost no learning curve. Use 19 inch cotton or micro beast type pads and good chems like releasit or John G's abstraction vlm. You won't ever have to apologize for poor results.
P.S. the trinity renewal systems Conquerer is basically the same machine with maybe a larger motor.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
i have both machines. the Challenger can be challenging to maneuver on some carpet. the Orbot will always be easier since it is on wheels.

though a couple guys have put wheels on their Challenger as well.

but the Orbot comes with a bigger pad driver so it will clean faster.

the Orbot also needs the additional Weight Kit to clean as well as the Challenger. (without the Orbot's Weight Kit the Challenger cleans better.)

the Orbot with Weight Kit costs a bit more $ than the Challenger though.

those are the pro's and con's that i can think of. lots for you to think about. either machine can do a fine job.
I have also owned both machines and Derek pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.

The Challenger is cheap, bullet proof, and does a great job. I could also do stairs with mine. Cleaned just as well as the Orbot, just took a little longer and a little harder to maneuver IMO.

The Orbot is way easier to maneuver and cleans awesome with weights. I had the spray borg and it was also great for commercial work as well.

I think the big factor (IMO) is going to be whether you are mostly occupied residential? If you are, then I suggest the Orbot hands down over any other machine out there. When I had my Orbot and did the occasional occupied home (mostly vacant here), customer would always comment on how awesome the Orbot looked!

If you do mostly vacant homes then the Challenger is the winner IMO. It's light for carrying up stairs and isn't as flashy as the Orbot but does a great job!

FWIW-I am 95% empty homes, vacation rentals, and apartments. I have gone full circle with equipment and am back to using a 175 for all my vlm needs. I can do just a good of a job with the 175 as my OP, it just takes longer. Hope this helps.
The Challenger is a nice machine. However, the folks who now own the Challenger brand are not presently manufacturing them. They're a small mom and pop operation. And at least for now, they've stopped distributing them. Let's hope they get their operation up and running again, because they have a nice machine, and we'd love to be able to sell them again. But as for now, you can take Challenger out of the consideration, since they're not currently available.
I wonder how those that need parts will go??

That's John G's machine isn't it?

Shorty.
John G owns the Trinity units, they are doing fine. It is a fickle business though as I see
the carpet max units by Bonnet Pro getting blown and discounted with some sort of April sale and he only had a couple units to begin with I am told.
(04-10-2013, 06:14 AM)encapman Wrote: The Challenger is a nice machine. However, the folks who now own the Challenger brand are not presently manufacturing them. They're a small mom and pop operation. And at least for now, they've stopped distributing them. Let's hope they get their operation up and running again, because they have a nice machine, and we'd love to be able to sell them again. But as for now, you can take Challenger out of the consideration, since they're not currently available.

i didn't know they stopped manu'ing them, i wondered why you stopped selling them. tx for the info Rick. i hear they have a couple of new partners so hopefully they will start again this year.

(04-10-2013, 07:10 AM)Cairnswun Wrote: I wonder how those that need parts will go??

That's John G's machine isn't it?

Shorty.
no not John G's machine. as far parts i would call Challenger and ask them.

Big Grin
John G's machines have had a lot of noise and rattle issues. The longer they are used the worse it seems to get. Maybe it has got better with the later ones. Slotools seems to be happy. Time always proves which machines are high quality.
the Trinity was just updated before mine- it is rock solid and feels like an expensive machine (it is). Mine does not have a rattling issue or noise like some on the youtube. I did 2 small homes this morning, punch prespray ,microfiber pad, and DS2-
perfection on both. They were both in good shape before I cleaned, so It was pretty easy and fast.
In that case, I would suggest looking for a used Challenger? If not, I think the Orbot is the best bang for the buck? Just looks sexy IMO!

FWIW-Have no experience with any of John G.'s machines....
The Orbot is clearly a nice machine! Smooth operation, and very sharp looking too. It's my personal favorite OP machine in the marketplace.

But for a more budget minded OP machine, I'm starting to think that the Oreck Lowboy may have merit. The Lowboys are actually manufactured for Oreck by Mercury Floor Machines, a very old and well regarded floor machine manufacturer. So in leu of having another lower cost OP machine option - I'm thinking of adding the Oreck Lowboys. We should be able to sell them in the $1200 neighborhood with a pad driver. That's a pretty huge difference from the Orbot and Trinity machines that are moving toward the 4 grand range!
good move Rick. i've never heard feedback on a Lowboy that i can recall.

i took my Orbot into the shop today for a sandblast / powdercoat. the same shop that prettied up my Challenger last month. so when i rolled in the Orbot all the guys instantly commented on how "cool" this one looked compared to the Challenger lol.

people sure do notice the Orbot's looks.
(04-10-2013, 10:30 PM)encapman Wrote: The Orbot is clearly a nice machine! Smooth operation, and very sharp looking too. It's my personal favorite OP machine in the marketplace.

But for a more budget minded OP machine, I'm starting to think that the Oreck Lowboy may have merit. The Lowboys are actually manufactured for Oreck by Mercury Floor Machines, a very old and well regarded floor machine manufacturer. So in leu of having another lower cost OP machine option - I'm thinking of adding the Oreck Lowboys. We should be able to sell them in the $1200 neighborhood with a pad driver. That's a pretty huge difference from the Orbot and Trinity machines that are moving toward the 4 grand range!

I would definitely be interested in a Oreck Lowboy myself. I planned on trying to find a used Challenger or Orbot in the future, but would love to take a look at the Oreck too.
Do you own a 175 now?

If so, start with that. After which you can look at upgrading to a better machine.