• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wool rugs woven in India. Good or bad?
Quality wise is there any red flags as far as cleaning with Mex and brushes?
Cleaner Carpet. Cleaner Planet.

If you value life
Do not squander time.
Time is the stuff life is made of.
Lots of flags would fly in my estimation.
A. Be sure you are well versed in oriental rug cleaning { pros and cons }
b. Do a complete pre inspection complete with pictures Before and after
c. Be prepared to buy the odd rug
d. Others will be more prepared to help than I.
Many of those rugs use a vegetable based dye and are not color fast. Check first for color fastness. Use an air mover and dry dry dry....
Ed Elliott

I was on the old forum looking for comments from shortwun. heard him metion some things about rugs hand woven in India. Where's Shortwun?

If you value life
Do not squander time.
I agree with Don above.
I do some wool orientals from pakistan for a regular customer every so often and I use
Low ph, wool safe, (test for color loss)...not that I'm a wool expert by any stretch.
I use to use a VonSchrader Esprit with counter rotating brushes. Sold that machine because that is about all it was any good for.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
If you intend to get into cleaning these type carpets please do yourself a big favour and take a oriental rug cleaning class.
Most are very cleanable but education is very important.
People that have these type carpets tend to think they are worth a small fortune and will pay to have them cleaned properly, and also will not let you away with any apparent damage you may or may not have caused.
I agree with Don's comments above. I would add that no matter where the rug is from there are some things to know that will make your life easier. Here's the way I look at it. You basically have two types of rugs. Synthetic rugs and Natural Fiber rugs. The synthetic rugs you can pretty much clean them without any worries of something bad happening. However, I have had several synthetic rugs bleed due to urine but it is not generally a problem. Then you have natural fibers. Wool being the most popular but you also have cotton, silk, sisal, etc. The easiest of these to clean is wool rugs. Test the colors before washing or cleaning and you will start to learn that a lot of wool rugs bleed when you wash them but there are ways to control it. If you are going to clean rugs in a customers home, don't get into the business. If you are going to wash and clean them properly in a rug cleaning facility then go take a couple of classes and learn what you can safely do and what to stay away from.

If you do clean them make sure to have a signed release from the customer. We put our little legal jargon on the bottom of our invoices and then make the customer sign the invoice.

Lastly, take photos of the rugs when you pick them up or when the customer is dropping them off at you shop. Try to get the customer in one photo with their rugs and make sure the photos are time and date stamped. Many people will try to tell you that you snag a rug or ripped it, or that the fringe wasn't like that originally, etc. If you have pictures with a date and time stamp and with the customer in the picture at the time you picked them up then you can prove to them that the damage was there and that they just didn't notice before hand. These photos have saved my butt many times.
Thanks Gents. Pearson thanks for that info I know you specialize in the field and i,ve seen your plant also on line. You hit it on the head when you mentioned doesn't matter where they come from. Thats what I was trying to find out. I thought I remember Shorty saying something about being careful if they are from India or Pakistan oppose to New Zealand. Thanks alot.

If you value life
Do not squander time.