• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very new with zero knowledge! Need to learn some basics!
I recently came into a bunch of carpet cleaning equipment & I am wondering where to begin in order to successfully start up in cleaning. I am not sure of models and types of machines/chemicals yet, I will find out.

Thank you!
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Welcome to the industry.
Hello and welcome-
Look for a carpet cleaning supplier in your area that can guide and assist you in chemical choices and possibly training courses, and maybe a local carpet cleaning company will help you in your quest for knowledge.
I cannot overemphasize training and know how to operate your new equipment, proper chemical useage ect.
I started in apartment work, with a rental portable, a gallon of cleaner and gal deordorizer, went in blind, within a week, I had several apartment complexes and learned on the job- thank heaven I never destroyed a carpet....
I now have a building full of equipment and 30 successful yrs. behind me and a great retirement (planning- very important).
so, get training, read, watch any youtube videos, absorb all info you can- I still do.
It is truly great when money falls from the sky...Smile The info above is great advice. Do yourself a favor and pick up carpet that has been removed to practice on, Commercial and Residential. Practice adds Experience and Knowledge. Then you will find that money grows out of carpet. Have FUN!Big Grin
for me personally, looking for or working with a local supplier would not have done didly for me. granted, when i had a decent local supplier, it was 15 years ago. back then us VLM'ers were laughed at publicly and thrown in the stocks.

ok maybe not that bad, but at a local CAD day or any supplier event really, you didn't go around bragging about your new Low Moisture "miracle" machine.

i am sure nowadays the rest of the industry has finally caught up with the times (to a degree) and now you would probably just get a simple dirty look or 10.

but no, from my experience, the local supplier is worthless. better deals can be had online. WAYY better deals. at least for us VLM'ers. unless you live near Tampa of course...
I have 2 great suppliers within 20 min. drive- proline and central valley carpet - both are excellent, helpful friendly- and offer training courses CTI is also in Sacramento, very close and always helpful. I guess I live in an exceptional area for service.
Welcome to a great industry. You've landed in a good forum to help you get started.

I guess the question to ask is: What equipment do you have?

Only then can you get more specific advice on how to work with it.

Cheers

Jamie
Coming into a bunch of carpet cleaning equipment is a pretty cool deal!
Basic classes in carpet and upholstery cleaning is a good place to start, then like Brian said above, old carpet can be a good practice tool, or like in my case, start bugging friends and family to do some cleaning (after you're sure you won't ruin anything)
Jon-Don offers good classes depending where you live that might be an option.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
What exactly do you have....or even roughly?
Hey Mr hannahkllr, I'm calling you out.
Where are you? Who are you? Tell us a little about yourself?
Enquiring minds want to know.
I reckon you're on the right track Rick.

I've refrained because I think he's a phony.

The name got me, sort of like a serial killer of women.

hannahkllr !!

Then not to follow up with his enquiry.................

Maybe I'm just TOO sceptical.

Dodgy
I never even looked at the name closely. Wierd though.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
Looks like he took his dofollow link and ran!Big Grin
SuperSteem Professional Carpet & Upholstery Care
Stockbridge, GA 30281
(678) 497-5404

Carpet Cleaning Atlanta GA
Carpet Cleaning Stockbridge GA

Big GrinBig Grin:
  Reply   Purge Spammer