• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how many of you guys are a solo business?
I had up to 7 employees for my first 15 years. The last 8 I have been solo. 100% truck-mounted equipment until I purchased my cimex 6 months ago. More great tools! I love my job! Hope to be cleaning another 12 years.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
How many of you solo operators have workers' comp insurance?
(04-20-2013, 10:07 AM)Shane Wrote: How many of you solo operators have workers' comp insurance?

Not I. I have gen. liability, but not workers comp. It's not required here (Alabama) unless I have 5 or more full-time employees - and it's only me.
It's not required by state statutes here in Wisconsin either for owner operators with no employees. I have a good client whom I clean for both in their home and office(leased). The new owner of their office bldg is requiring all contractors to show proof of workers comp ins. My client is disappointed but it simply is not worth doing for one job. My insurance agent says he is seeing more of this. Perhaps down the road I will need to revisit this subject.
I have gen and comp.

For some of the high rises and some commercial carpet/jani, it's a requirement.
not required here either fortunately.
Workers comp is needed for the commercial cleaning accounts even my trucks need a million dollar policy to be parked in their parking lots. Having just a liability policy doesn"t cut it any more. I have 1 full time employee and 1 part time.
It is an expense but to me it keeps the trunk slammers away. P cleanerCool
This is a very good point.

Requirements for proper licensing, etc. does help raise the barrier to entry, etc. and arguably would keep prices higher.

(04-21-2013, 01:08 AM)P Cleaner Wrote: Workers comp is needed for the commercial cleaning accounts even my trucks need a million dollar policy to be parked in their parking lots. Having just a liability policy doesn"t cut it any more. I have 1 full time employee and 1 part time.
It is an expense but to me it keeps the trunk slammers away. P cleanerCool
It depends on the job , but I prefer two people on a truck for residential , job goes smoother in most cases. Commercial if it is small one person can do it fine, I still like two people better in most situations, many times someone sees what the other may miss, then there is the fatigue factor after going 8 hours or so you need two people , if we were doing only carpet 10, 12 hours not as big a deal as T&G Wood or VCT.

We have four of us on the trucks, two are my sons and one helper, getting ready to train another so I can get off the van.
David all jobs are to be covered by insurance liability & workers comp no matter the size of the job. P CleanerConfused
I am fortunate enough to have a partner that rides along with me. We share the duties most of the time, but sometimes we have to go it alone. Residential with two sets of stairs are my kryptonite.
SuperSteem Professional Carpet & Upholstery Care
Stockbridge, GA 30281
(678) 497-5404

Carpet Cleaning Atlanta GA
Carpet Cleaning Stockbridge GA

Big GrinBig Grin:
  Reply   Purge Spammer
I do mostly office cleaning, but all three of my kids help. I have a 16, 15 and 13 yr old and if they want spending money then they are with me and earn it. My 16yr old son hates residential carpet cleaning and my 15 yr old daughter likes it. My 13 yr old son only does comm work with us.

But for years I was solo and I love it. Sometimes in my end of the biz (janitorial), I wonder if I should grow and hire and then take on bigger accts, then I think no because that's when I lose control and get into all the headaches.

I enjoy what I do and want to keep it that way.