• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arm and hammer wash soda
I got in the habit of adding a small scoop of this to my water before mixing chems To soften the water on a job where I don't know if the water is soft or not.
I wonder if it would affect the encap chemistry?
I haven't tried it yet with encap juice.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
never heard of such a thing, interesting!
Like Derek, I've never heard of it either. I'd be a little skeptical about adding wash soda to a detergent mixture.
It is something I learned from the folks at VonSchrader years ago. That's the only point of reference I have on it, other than Knowing that it was popular years ago in laundry as a softening agent. I do know that there is a noticeable difference in cleaning when i use it with regular juice like the TLC and Abstraction VLM. I just wondered if it would mess up the chemistry of the releasit products.
Ok, after a little research, it is basically a modified form of baking soda that is all natural and modifies hard water to enable better detergent performance-a booster.
Not trying to promote anything here, just wondered if it would interfere.
Mike Becker
doesn't hurt to test stuff out! preferably at your own home Tongue

oh and let us know the results Tongue
Is that Borax?
Good question. I would like to know also.
It's not borax. It is all natural and non toxic similar to baking soda but more caustic with a ph of around 12. I have only used in in hard water at a rate of a quarter cup per gallon of water in addition to whatever Chems I'm using.
The only caution I've seen is not getting on aluminum or waxed flooring (unless you're trying to remove the wax)
I can see an obvious improvement in cleaning effectiveness when using it with hard water.
Mike Becker
I may make an experiment. I leave the house ready to clean and we have very hard water. Whole house softener may be the better option, but in the meantime....
Judd, I leave ready to clean too but I have a softener. If I have to mix on the job I add the washing soda. 1/4 cup per gallon. I only do this when using normal juice though, not encap because I don't know yet how or if it will cause trouble.
By all means do some research on the stuff and form you own opinion.
Like I said, I'm not endorsing anything here, just wondered if anyone knew whether or not it would mess up encap solutions.
Here is what I do know....
Don't get it on aluminum. It will discolor and possibly pit it.
Don't get it on waxed flooring or it will remove the wax
I really don't think in the small doses I use it would damage anything but I wouldn't risk it.
Mike Becker
I'll mix a small bit of RTU and see how it works. Hopefully it will still crystalize. I don't really need to, but I just like to know.

Where do you buy the stuff? Wally World?
I'm sure wally has it. I get it at Rural King here in Illinois. Farm supply stores usually have it in the laundry Isle cause us hicks like old fashioned home spun stuff.
Mike Becker
Its 100% sodium carbonate....i believe alot of carpet cleaning chem suppliers have a version of this.....like magic wands zoom....i would like to know if it effects encap as well...its just a water softener
  Reply   Purge Spammer
So it's not sodium PERcarbonate?
Has anyone tried using club soda with an encap?

There is a VLM place in my area that claims to use it.