• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residential Carpet Cleaning
Is an OP just as effective as a TM in residential carpet cleaning?
If not are we doing our customers a disservice?
This is going to be interesting......
Just curious. Before I invest in an OP for residential work.
Well here we go..if you look at the Mohawk group web site it says a bonnet that spins is not recommended and will void warranty. They do state vlm is ok with proper application. Let's be honest, smoking causes cancer and is not healthy it says so right on the package, we all know someone who has died from cancer, yet millions of people still smoke. Why? Because that's what the prefer to do..getting back to carpets I have had about 10 customers inquire about cleaning method so they don't void there warranty...many or most just want the carpet clean in appearance and dry as fast as possible..For 11 years I offered only hwe and explained to many many customers that hwe is the best way to go and had many wanting me to offer a dry option..look at many of the manufacture websites, see some of the equipment they approve. 1 being a rental unit from your local grocery store...i have had to follow and repair mildew problems quite a few times from that machine. I will agree probably lack of customers cleaning knowledge was part of problem. Certain make crb machines and solutions are approved methods. Even the carpet cleaning sponges are approved for some manufactures. I generally use a crb on residential and if they are really nasty follow with pad capping...the op cleaning is just a method and has its place in the cleaning industry as long as people want it... Most carpets you clean warrany is not an issue and for those that are follow the guidelines...How many customers use a cri approved vacuum? Will that void warranty if it's not? How many actually clean them 12-18 months?
I like the way you explained that Rob. Smile
Robs explanation above is excellent! Heres my 2 cents.
If anyone asks about the method I use I explain that I primarily use a counter rotating brush machine along with an oscillating absorbent pad machine that scubs carpet fibers from all directions and lifts and absorbs soils out. I also tell them I have used HWE machines and still do in some cases but I am more confident in the overall results from OP. I simply think OP makes carpets look their best , at least in most residential settings. I use the finest environmentally safe cleaning agents available and all work carries a satisfaction guarantee.
I have never in over ten years had anyone ask about warranty issues.
Personally, I don't care at all what carpet mills recommend because when they promote the use rug doctor ....well come on. The carpet mills don't seem to take into consideration at all the experience level or diligence of the operator - just the machine itself.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
Thanks Rick.

I could go on and on... It also states using the proper hwe equipment the carpets need to be dry in 4-6 hours... I've used some of the best equipment out there and all the stars would have to line up properly for that to happen...when you clean with hwe do your customer carpets dry 4-6 hours I know that's what we like to think but it's not reality because I hear customers complain all the time about previous cleaners and the carpets took 12-24 hours to dry. I know these guys they run top of the line pto driven truck mounts and are trained techs. If the carpet is real soiled I don't think a hwe dry time of 4-6 hours is realistic even with air movers..now toss in a little weather such as rain,,humidity(add on the dry time) what kind of justice is that for the customer. Sure I have had people say wow they dried fast 4 hours! But that just because every thing was just right.. Start a poll call all your jobs the next day and ask if the carpets are completely dry! Probably not a good idea. 4-6 hoursCool

(05-01-2013, 10:46 PM)MikeB Wrote: Robs explanation above is excellent! Heres my 2 cents.
If anyone asks about the method I use I explain that I primarily use a counter rotating brush machine along with an oscillating absorbent pad machine that scubs carpet fibers from all directions and lifts and absorbs soils out. I also tell them I have used HWE machines and still do in some cases but I am more confident in the overall results from OP. I simply think OP makes carpets look their best , at least in most residential settings. I use the finest environmentally safe cleaning agents available and all work carries a satisfaction guarantee.
I have never in over ten years had anyone ask about warranty issues.
Personally, I don't care at all what carpet mills recommend because when they promote the use rug doctor ....well come on. The carpet mills don't seem to take into consideration at all the experience level or diligence of the operator - just the machine itself.

Great explanation Mike

I think hwe is necessary for certain problems such as urine.
Thanks Rob. I agree about hwe for urine and good point about the dry times. Many of my customers have horror stories about 2 day dry times.
Mike Becker
This is my take based on personal experience over the last year and half - two years....

First, most people are accustom to seeing a TM. Many cleaners will say that consumers do not notice or care. I disagree. Some may not, but many do (many will not say anything but are wondering to themselves 'hey, what is he doing?'). So long story short, you will always have some form of justification to do when VLM'ing residential settings. You need to do a bang 'em up job and go the extra mile if you genuinely want to win them over.

Second - in my opinion a TM will always trump VLM in terms of residential production time. This is especially the case if the TM cleaner does not pre-vacuum. In order to properly VLM residential you need to pre-vac. Add to it a CRB/OP/Rototary or any combo of the three along with post vac, dwell, etc. and you will have some time invested into the job.

Thirdly, yes it works. VLM is all I know and all I do. You can get great results if you follow all the important steps. At minimum - pre-vac, dwell, agitation, post vac. You can't afford to cheap out with product. Use superior chems, great pads and a good machine.

Use a spotter/wet-dry vac and Water Claw for deep pee and poop treatment.

I have never had a customer ask me abut a warranty. If they did I might be hesitant to clean for them (regardless of what method I used).

I use the Steamin Demon and the Orbot. I like the Demon very much and think it is an excellent economical alternative to a truck mount. There are quite a few scenarios - including residential - where I would only use the Orbot. But, there is no scenario where I would only use the Demon. The effect of the Orbot on the nap of the carpet is simply not achieved through HWE alone. I think that almost any carpet that has been cleaned with HWE can benefit by being cleaned with an Orbot running a SuperZorb pad.
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
Rob what type of CRB do you use on residential?

(05-01-2013, 10:19 PM)Rob D Wrote: Well here we go..if you look at the Mohawk group web site it says a bonnet that spins is not recommended and will void warranty. They do state vlm is ok with proper application. Let's be honest, smoking causes cancer and is not healthy it says so right on the package, we all know someone who has died from cancer, yet millions of people still smoke. Why? Because that's what the prefer to do..getting back to carpets I have had about 10 customers inquire about cleaning method so they don't void there warranty...many or most just want the carpet clean in appearance and dry as fast as possible..For 11 years I offered only hwe and explained to many many customers that hwe is the best way to go and had many wanting me to offer a dry option..look at many of the manufacture websites, see some of the equipment they approve. 1 being a rental unit from your local grocery store...i have had to follow and repair mildew problems quite a few times from that machine. I will agree probably lack of customers cleaning knowledge was part of problem. Certain make crb machines and solutions are approved methods. Even the carpet cleaning sponges are approved for some manufactures. I generally use a crb on residential and if they are really nasty follow with pad capping...the op cleaning is just a method and has its place in the cleaning industry as long as people want it... Most carpets you clean warrany is not an issue and for those that are follow the guidelines...How many customers use a cri approved vacuum? Will that void warranty if it's not? How many actually clean them 12-18 months?
I'm using the brush pro 17".... I like the renovators...I liked the duplex shower feed solution but I clean a high percentage of residential and it left a lot of fur balls lying around.. I tried to have a renovator custom made but it had a 500. Price tag... If I manufactured my own it would be shower feed for even solution distribution and also have renovators
Cool, I am kind of liking the Steamin Demon.

Do you ever use it in occupied residential? How is it when cleaning around furniture?

Does the SD have an adverse effect on the nap after agitated by the Orbot?

(05-02-2013, 06:32 AM)Hoss Wrote: I use the Steamin Demon and the Orbot. I like the Demon very much and think it is an excellent economical alternative to a truck mount. There are quite a few scenarios - including residential - where I would only use the Orbot. But, there is no scenario where I would only use the Demon. The effect of the Orbot on the nap of the carpet is simply not achieved through HWE alone. I think that almost any carpet that has been cleaned with HWE can benefit by being cleaned with an Orbot running a SuperZorb pad.
I use the Demon in occupied residential. It cuts in around furniture very well. I looked at other portable extractors, but the number of cords and the amps they would draw put me off. The Demon does need to be attached to the local hot water supply - it comes with fittings for most faucets - just unscrew the end and attach. And, the discharge goes into a toilet or other suitable drain. With access to a bathroom or kitchen sink and a good 20 amp outlet you have a 50 ft range of cleaning. It draws 14 amps. With the hose extensions, you have a 100 ft range. But, most residential interior is less that 50' from a water / electrical supply.

With a truly trashed out carpet, I use the Demon first. The discharge hose is clear, so in an occupied scenario, the resident can see the drama of the brown/ black water leaving their carpet. The physics of the Demon are exceptional and leave a fairly dry carpet - comparable to truck mounts in side by side comparisons. But, following up with Superzorb pads on the Orbot and some Hydrox dries it out more - polishing and protecting the fibers and raising the nap. Demon first, followed the Orbot, in my opinion, provides dramatically superior results to any truck mount application. It will take longer than a truck mount with a rotary attachment, but the drying time will be less the carpet will also be encapped - providing more benefits to the consumer.
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
[quote='Hoss' pid='3134' dateline='1367586319']
I use the Demon in occupied residential. It cuts in around furniture very well. I looked at other portable extractors, but the number of cords and the amps they would draw put me off. The Demon does need to be attached to the local hot water supply - it comes with fittings for most faucets - just unscrew the end and attach. And, the discharge goes into a toilet or other suitable drain. With access to a bathroom or kitchen sink and a good 20 amp outlet you have a 50 ft range of cleaning. It draws 14 amps. With the hose extensions, you have a 100 ft range. But, most residential interior is less that 50' from a water / electrical supply.

Robert, do you ever have issues regarding hook up or discharge options in homes?
I love the idea of the Demon. I just think some of my customers are fussy enough to cringe at the thought of someone unscrewing their faucet screen and having a hose hanging from it.
Can't please everyone i know, but just wondered if it's ever been an issue for you.
Mike Becker