• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oreck Lowboy
Any field reports on the lowboy yet?? It sure looks like a workhorse in the video. It looks like it covers a lot of ground pretty quickly without too much effort. It must have a little bit larger orbit than a Challenger??
I think with a solution tank and shower feed with a fiber plus pad-even with wheels up-it would do well on C.G.D. on small-mid sized jobs. Cool
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
We're currently developing a wheel kit modification for the Low Boy, so that it can be run with the wheels down - similar too an Orbot. We have built a successful prototype of the swing arms and wheel assembly and it works really well. We're now looking to find a good machinist that can build them for us.

We've also configured adding a shampoo tank to the Low Boy. We've tested it, and it works well. The only drawback is that the Low Boy has a free floating handle, so you have to lean the handle against your hip while you're running the machine - with the weight of the water in the tank. That may seem like a pain - but it works OK. We've tested the set up running the Low Boy with a tank of water and it's not hard to work with.

So those are two modifications that we will be offering for the Low Boys in the next couple of months. For now the stock Low Boy unit is spot on perfect as a basic OP machine (comparable to the Challenger). But maybe I shouldn't refer to it as a "basic OP machine", because it really does a nice job and can stand its ground against other OP machines that we've worked with.

The Low Boy along with a Penguin Sprayer makes for a nice basic set up. There I go using that word "basic" again. The Penguin will run several hours on a charge. And its coiled spray hose will cover a pretty big area (like a large room) without having to move the sprayer. Together with the Low Boy it makes for an efficient cost-effective OP system.
That sounds great Rick! You might want to consider locking the handle against the wheel set (like the orbot) for a little less cumbersome operation. In my case, when I run my challenger with the wave tank and wheels down I have the handle set up with a bolt near the hinge point to stop it at a comfortable point. The only other hassle is changing pads with the tank sloshing around on you ( which is why the orbot head flips up) I have not had time to address that issue yet.
I'm anxious to see what you guys come up with!
Mike Becker
I hear you Mike. We've played with putting a stop on the Low Boy for the handle. But this does have an impact on the way the machine runs. You see, OP machines such as the Low Boy, Challenger, Orbot, CCS, etc. are all designed to have free floating heads. This is either accomplished by way of a pivoting head, or with a floating handle. Locking the handle on the Low Boy prevents the free floating of the head that should naturally be occurring with the machine. I'm not sure if there's a practical way to work around this. If there is, we haven't discovered it yet.
Rick, I agree with the locking handle impacting the way the machine runs. An OP just isn't meant to run that way. The orbot and others have resolved this by attaching the handle to the wheel chassis and allowing the head to float and pivot. Unfortunately that would be quite a bit of modifying in the case of the lowboy or challenger. Kinda like trying to make an old dog do a new trick. IMHO a simple add on wheel kit that the average guy could install with solution tank for the lowboy would more than suffice and make that machine a very cost effective alternative for mid sized commercial jobs.
I'm sure you'll come up with something nice!
Mike Becker
(05-05-2013, 10:54 AM)MikeB Wrote: IMHO a simple add on wheel kit that the average guy could install with solution tank for the lowboy would more than suffice and make that machine a very cost effective alternative for mid sized commercial jobs.
I'm sure you'll come up with something nice!

I agree completely. That is what we're planning - a wheel kit, and a solution tank add-on.

By the way, we have already built the prototype for the wheel kit attachment and it works really well. We've also added a tank, and it shower-feeds nicely. So these two custom add-ons for the Low Boy are in the pipeline.
I've done a half dozen or so small jobs with the lowboy and find it to be an extremely easy to move with machine. no glider is needed in fact, I don't think a wheel kit is necessary. a preference if anything.

I don't think adding a solution tank is a good route to go. the added weight of solution will make it a bear to use, due to the handle IMO.

rather a tank on the handle, install all necessary hardware/solution line, and use a remote electric or cordless type sprayer.
I know lotsa folks who use that penguin sprayer, and think that's ideal for remote use.
another really nice quality sprayer is the rocket sprayer. add to the sprayer a 50' feed line, and quick connect it to the (newly installed) hardware on the lowboy. ideally suited for commercial work.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Mickey, I think when using fiber pads the shower feed works so much better than spraying ahead that I'd put up with a bit of struggle caused by the tank. When using cotton or micro fiber pads - different story. The spray ahead method works better.
I think having a couple options for different settings would be awesome.
Mike Becker
Mike, way back in the '70's, when I did commercial cleaning, on all my mercury floor machines, I installed tanks so I could shower feed like you mentioned but installed them in a way so I could easily remove them, and use the remote set-up I mentioned above. kinda the best of both worlds, and worked extremely well when I did carpeted auditoriums and the really large areas.

maybe rick can come up with something interesting?
  Reply   Purge Spammer