• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obot (weights)
I am curious how much weight people are adding to the Orbot the clean carpet with?
also how much extra can it handle. thanks you

David
I have only had my Orbot for about three weeks, but I did not purchase the weight kit when I bought the Orbot from Excellent. Brian advised me that it was not necessary for carpet, and I have not had a circumstance where I thought I needed extra weight on any type of carpet.

I will be cleaning some tile and grout tomorrow, and will pull out my Minuteman 175 for that to put some extra weight on the brush.
Ed Elliott

I would enjoy hearing from those that use weights on their Orbot as well. I believe some feel they can get better results.
Weights definately help imo. I had them on my first Orbot and noticed a huge difference in cleaning ability.

My new to me Orbot will soon have weights. I am having a friend make me a set that owns a machine shop. You can also use ankle weights for now to get you by.....
I run 2 of the HOS weight plates all the time. This adds 8 pounds. I would never run more than 16 extra pounds for carpet. Eight pounds seems to work just fine.
I use them on commercial carpet only. Not the entire set though, just 2 plates per side.
(05-05-2013, 11:13 PM)JuddBowers Wrote: I use them on commercial carpet only. Not the entire set though, just 2 plates per side.

How much does one set ( 2 plates ), weigh please Judd??

Ta,
I have not used weights on residential carpets and results are excellent. Do use on commercial though and no problems.
Yep i also use 2 plates all the time and it works great.
This is exactly what I use.

Only exception being very clean/new carpet. In that case I might drop a plate or two.

Add a plate per side for t&g.

(05-05-2013, 11:09 PM)Gkleen Wrote: I run 2 of the HOS weight plates all the time. This adds 8 pounds. I would never run more than 16 extra pounds for carpet. Eight pounds seems to work just fine.
Jeez I'm a dummy.

Read a post & don't comprehend. LOL

2 plates = 8lbs. OMG. :-)

Ta.
I thought the Orbot came with eight plates four to a side?

that make each plate 5 pounds since the weight set is for 40 pounds.

Any how I did a quick test got a 20 pound ankle weight set, 10 each ankle strapped them together and places around the motor. Worked swimmingly no strain on the motor and extra agitation was appreciable.

After I get the machine powder coated I think we will have a friend machine me some weights for the machine
I also use 2 on each side. I do mostly residential and it makes a huge difference.
Ok. I'll ask the question. While I understand there are a number of factors that can contribute to tip bloom on residential cut pile carpet, (pads, lubrication, movement, etc...), wouldn't the additional weight on the Orbot also put you at greater risk in causing tip bloom on cut pile carpet?
Ed Elliott

I think it depends on the carpet blend. That's what I've found.