• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laminate / Hardwood "refinishing"
Has anyone tried any of these products that claim you can restore laminate flooring finish and also use on hardwood? It's not deep sanding and refinishing (hardwood) but a chemical buff with fiber pads and a finish product available in different levels of gloss.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
what products would those Be? Brands. I prefer to use a cylindrical brush machine when doing clean and recoat.
I have had clients ask me to remove coatings of Rejuvenate. It goes on easily and very glossy and starts scratching right of the bat. So, they put on more coats and it gets thicker and the scratches get deeper. Then you have a surface that really can't be removed without a complete re-sanding. Which can only be done a couple times with engineered hardwood. I tried some experiments with removal on samples of engineered hardwood and I could find no good way to remove it with simple abrasion and / or chemicals without affecting the underlying finish. I used every product recommended by manufacturer and it was simply nasty to deal with. Nothing worked to the point that I would risk trying to remove it for a customer.

I have a big hardwood cleaning / refreshing project coming up with about 1100 sf of real, solid, mahogany floors. Thankfully, they have not put anything on it. But, the poly is wearing off in places so it has an uneven sheen and some minor scratching. My plan is to use the Orbot with Bona hardwood cleaner and Superzorbs to give it a good, thorough, scratch-less cleaning - then follow with a coat of Bona floor refresher. The floor refresher is a very thin coat, low build-up of urethane that does a good job bonding to the existing poly with a subtle gloss. It should keep the floor in pretty good shape for the next couple of years and additional coats can be applied with very little build up where there is frequent wear. Application can be done by the owner with microfiber applicator. The main thing is to make sure that the floor is very, very clean before putting anything on it.

The next step above that is a poly coat, but for that I would recommend using some abrasive action to clean and slightly scuff the surface to take on the new coat of poly. Of course, beyond that you have the brand new sanding / staining / sealing - messy and very labor intensive.
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
Illaminate is the brand. Just wondered if anyone has tried it before I buy some for a trial run on my on laminate floors.
Mike Becker
It is the same product as Laminator PLus if that helps you out?
Ok I looked at it again and yes the finish is called laminator plus.
Mike Becker