• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sq.ft. pricing vs. room pricingI
I currently use a TM on all my residential jobs and charge per sq.ft.
Since VLM has so many steps do you guys charge by sq.ft. or room.
I pre vac, pre condition, followed by hwe, 2 dry passes. Great results always at about $100/hr.
VLM in a residential setting is very similar to HWE as far as the basic steps vac clean groom. I charge by the sq ft BTW.
I started out pricing by square foot, but since most people have no idea how many feet they have or even room size when they call, I have gone to room pricing. I try to get a feel for what kind of rooms they are and approx size, and shoot a price over the phone. Do you guys go do a measurement and then price? I just got tired of all the running around and maybe they don't even book the job, so wasted time and gas....
I am usually able to get 40-50 per room. 3.50 per step. as long as I'm getting around 100 per hour I'm happy. Sometimes less, sometimes more.
I should add that my situation is different than most here, I help my aging father with his auto repair shop ( won't retire and I don't want him hurting himself ) part time and I do the carpet cleaning as well. My intention is to eventually have an employee on the truck while I run the shop.
I actually want to get out of the car biz but I don't trust anyone else to help him out there.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
For new customers I'ii measure and price. I try to get .32/ft. which is a common price here in the Chicago area for those of us that try to do high end work.
new prospect calls , they ask how much do you charge, that is a very good question MRS X may I ask you a few questions
How did you hear about us? Three ways for us, refereed, internet and direct mail

What made you decide to call us?
there is more to the script then that but one can get the picture.

Their investment is the last thing we go over, in most instance after we have made them feel comfortable with us even a rough estimate is more then ok with them, they will get an exact price when we arrive to clean, if they need an exact price then we will schedule a time to do the quote when we are already in the area.
I think we can all tell when price is the only concern, when the cost of the service is their top concern I nicely let them know we have a $150 minimum charge, if they only have one room we would be glad to clean UPH at the same time to meet the min charge.

My advice to anyone would be to get permission to measure the entire house while you are there, taking care to make of what types of floors are in each room. You never have to measure anything in the home again, we even take note of the furnishings in the home also. One visit gives us all the info to service the client for years to come
David, very good info. I too have found that the more questions you ask and more you talk to mrs x, the more comfortable she usually gets and price becomes less important. Some are only looking for a price and those usually only want one room too. For those I explain the minimum charge. I guess after talking a while and giving a ballpark I'd feel better about going to measure.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
I do resi with a brush pro and prevac with a pile lifter. I only move light stuff like end tables and such. I get 50 per area up to 250sqft and every fifth area is free. I only charge extra for red stains and iruine treatments.
I'm in NE Pa and its work well.

Good luck!
I wish I was where you guys live. Here in South Jersey it's how much and that's to expensive. I have pulled my craigslist due to the fact of price shoppers and I am only targeting commercial office cleaning now.

If I would ask my customers how did they hear about me they would say "i don't know."

I had one a few days ago on a job, she said I don't know I typed in carpet cleaning and your name came up. LOL.
Mellon, my prices are working in Eggharbor NJ. Thats not too far away. Is it?Big Grin
It all boils down to what is your break even point then how much do you need put a side to live after you stop cleaning or sell your business.

after equipment, insurances, van, gas, chemicals, taxes, your pay etc how much is really left over. I learned a while ago the break even number is usually hirer then many people think.
We price by the room for most resi, and by the sq ft for most commercial. But I have to admit that due to old age, I usually eyeball smaller commercial and just quote a price on the spot. Too tired to measure Smile

jtmellon- If the pricing in Jersey is that bad, I would work at your current rate until you have a good clientele, and then gradually raise your prices to where you want to be. After a while, referrals should kick in to where people won't care as much about price and want to use you because their friends do, and they know and trust you will provide an outstanding service.
We price by the sf. I have done it this way for over 20 years now and wouldn't even know how to price by the room. We don't give prices on the phone either. It just seems to work for us.
I'm in the metro atlanta area, which probably has more carpet cleaners per square foot than any other city (of course, i found that out AFTER i started my business a year ago!). I quote by the room for residential and sq ft for commercial. I'm not yet charging what many of you are charging, but then again you guys are in higher cost of living areas where EVERYTHING is more expensive lol
I always price resi & commercial work by the SF, even though it can be difficult on the phone for resi work when the customer has no idea about the SF.

In my area, many of the low end cleaners price by the room, as low as $20 per vacant room. It appeals to the college students, but I try and stay away from that type of appeal/pricing scheme. Instead, I will offer % discounts during certain times of the year, and try to sell the value-add of my service while speaking with the customer on the phone.

I also have a minimum trip charge, which is a must, in my opinion.
Ed Elliott

hmm guys i am new to this work and just learning the cleaning.. not started the professional work.. but I am glad to see that guys in this business you have good earnings. Thanks for sharing.