• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt Residue
My in laws had their water softener malfunction and for 7 hours the brine tank overflowed and flooded the basement with salt water.
They have a level loop glue down carpet that got drenched. We got it vacuumed and dried with fans and a dehumidifier, but now there is a great deal of salt residue to contend with. What would work best to neutralize the remaining salt residue? I would like to use vlm, but feel that flushing with hwe would be better. Any opinions out there?
After 7 years of salt brine - you may just want to replace it.

Otherwise a very thorough HWE cleaning may help. But I'm doubtful that the carpet will ever be pristine. It's time for some new carpet.
A good HWE using a acid side pre spray with lots of dwell time should do the job, may need to follow up with a surface clean once dry.
Us cleaners up north face a similar problem every spring with entrance carpets that are loaded with ice melter salt.
Thanks guys! I'll try an acid side pre spray and hwe. We'll hope for the best with no guarantees.
We've had success counteracting ice melt residue/ salt using HydraMaster's Release (it's their "SafeClean" prespray; it's very sticky) as a heavy pre-spray, followed by a strong acid rinse. But your situation will most likely need a few treatments. Let us know how it goes!
I agree with rick, i am not sure that its considered clean water, if its not considered clean water then SS500 recommends replacement