• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Part Post: 10.5 Reasons + What Would Rick Do?
Rick,

I just read your article on 10.5 Reason To Clean Commercial (I think that's what it's called?).

Anyway, great article and really gets you pumped up when it comes to the idea of commercial carpet cleaning.

Also, he touches on one point that I think is really important: cashing out. My gut tells me that a commercial cleaning service (carpet, jani, etc.) would hold more value to a buyer as it has service agreements. On the other hand, residential, which has virtually no service agreements and is generally personality driven, might not hold as much weight?

Thanks!

And now some questions if I may....

What do you keep on your truck nowadays? Chems, pads and machines?

If you were starting over today, what would you do different in terms of marketing, resi and/or commercial, etc. (broad question, I know)?

Is HWE still a part of your cleaning schedule?
Cashing Out.

What really matters in cashing out, is having a turn key business that does not depend on the owner being there. WHY This means the business hhas systems in place to ensure consistency. The clients get the same great service each and every time, the business does not depend on any one person but a team of well trained professionals.

It does not matter if it is commercial or residential if the owner has to be around to insure things go smoothly the business is not worth much at all, just the going rate for the exiting contracts and equipment.
David, yours is a true way of looking at it and calling it a business. One that can run without the owner being there.

Me, I consider myself self employed and I would not have it any other way. I love doing the work and seeing results and cashing the check.
Thanks for the comments Cleaning Dude. Glad you enjoyed that article.

Here's a link to the article, posted on the EncapBlog...
http://www.excellent-supply.com/Top-Ten-..._b_20.html

To answer your questions... If I were to start over today, I think I would do it the same way. Focus on commercial. I'd prefer to leave residential for the other guys in town.

Yes, HWE has its place. We use HWE occasionally. It's not needed often. But we have portys and will use them whenever it's needed. The extractor is not normally in the van, it gets tossed in whenever there's a job that calls for it (no sense driving around with unnecessary clutter in the truck).

The basic set up in our cleaning van is a Cimex, an X-Vac pile lifter, and a cart that carries the buckets cords and whatnot. We have an aluminum Link ramp. There's also an Oreck Orbiter for an occasional oddity. There's also a Zebra brush, an Edge Brush, and a drill with a Rota-Brush and a Drill Driver.
Thanks for the reply, Rick.

You would still use a pile lifter as opposed to a CRB?

Also, what are your thoughts on cashing in - resi vs. commercial? I still feel that selling off a commercial business might be easier than a business that is strictly - or mostly - residential.

(05-20-2013, 02:41 PM)encapman Wrote: Thanks for the comments Cleaning Dude. Glad you enjoyed that article.

Here's a link to the article, posted on the EncapBlog...
http://www.excellent-supply.com/Top-Ten-..._b_20.html

To answer your questions... If I were to start over today, I think I would do it the same way. Focus on commercial. I'd prefer to leave residential for the other guys in town.

Yes, HWE has its place. We use HWE occasionally. It's not needed often. But we have portys and will use them whenever it's needed. The extractor is not normally in the van, it gets tossed in whenever there's a job that calls for it (no sense driving around with unnecessary clutter in the truck).

The basic set up in our cleaning van is a Cimex, an X-Vac pile lifter, and a cart that carries the buckets cords and whatnot. We have an aluminum Link ramp. There's also an Oreck Orbiter for an occasional oddity. There's also a Zebra brush, an Edge Brush, and a drill with a Rota-Brush and a Drill Driver.

I agree to an extent.

However, if it's an O/O business (residential) it is far more personality driven. Having near instant recall of your customers names, pet names and the rapport that builds over time is an obstacle that a new owner will face. Looking at it from the customers perspective it's as if they were dealing with a new carpet cleaner.

Commercial on the other hand is usually a lot less personal. You come in, clean, leave. Your service agreements guarantee specific income, etc.

(05-20-2013, 07:24 AM)David-Hebert Wrote: Cashing Out.

What really matters in cashing out, is having a turn key business that does not depend on the owner being there. WHY This means the business hhas systems in place to ensure consistency. The clients get the same great service each and every time, the business does not depend on any one person but a team of well trained professionals.

It does not matter if it is commercial or residential if the owner has to be around to insure things go smoothly the business is not worth much at all, just the going rate for the exiting contracts and equipment.
Question 1: Yes, a pile lifter is designed to lift pile and vacuum so it has an edge. But a second option would be to use a CRB with the Rennovator trays to recover dry soil.

Question 2: I think a commercial business may be more sellable than a residential business, as long as you have some written agreements with your customers. This demonstrates that there is regularity in the income. That's something that a potential buyer would be keenly interested in.
As an owner who is in the process of getting my self out doing most of the technical work
I can tell you that it is definitely slower to do so on the residential side . After decades of servicing them I know them their families, likes what they expect and on it goes.

I have introduced the new tech ( one or another of my sons) got the clients fairly comfortable with fact they will still receive the same great service, but sometimes it just does not matter if I am not on the site I will get a call back from certain clients or be asked to be the one to service them. I can even just play baby sitter and talk to the client through out the entire job and it is fine, if I am not there something just is not right to the client. All new clients see me at the first visit that is it, everything has been going smoother this way.

Commercial In most cases just an intro to the contact person and the techs is all that is needed, so far the only exceptions have been in the military installations and our high security buildings ( I have had to obtain security clearances that enable me to go into certain government or affiliated buildings ).

Mr Mellon I like to clean also, but I have found the less I clean the more fun I have cleaning when I do it. Love getting new buildings up and rolling then let the boys take over,
they like DAD helping but only so much, they say go out an network or sell something will you.
[undefined=undefined]I agree to an extent.

However, if it's an O/O business (residential) it is far more personality driven. Having near instant recall of your customers names, pet names and the rapport that builds over time is an obstacle that a new owner will face. Looking at it from the customers perspective it's as if they were dealing with a new carpet cleaner.
[/undefined]