• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Go Big or Keep it Compact?
Would like to hear what you guys think on this one:

There is an opportunity for me to pick up a used TM. Overall, the TM is in good shape, the van is as well, but there are a couple of catches. First, the van is about eighteen years old. Second, it has no a/c (I am in Vegas for those of you that don't know). If the van has trouble down the road, I am most likely stuck and will be forced to get a new van. Also, if I were to buy this, I would almost certainly need to install an a/c of some sort. Not to mention the mpg.

Part of me wants the 'convenience' of a TM - get jobs done quick, versatility, etc. However, the other part of me wants to avoid all of the maintenance, costs (gas namely as I average 20 mile distances to my jobs - which is to say 40 miles round trip) and other responsibilities associated with it. Also, I am a terrible mechanic. Blowers, belts, heat exchange systems, pumps and small motors are things that I have zero familiarity with.

I also have the opportunity to purchase a used Steamin' Demon. I really like this machine. I don't think it's as fast a TM, but along with a CRB (or other agitation tool) it seems like it could take on most any type of carpet. Commercial, resi, etc.?

To me it seems like the Demon would be a simple way to go. I assume they are reliable?

Also, I do not know how customers would react to seeing a machine like that? Though I have plenty of experience in dealing with how they react to seeing an Orbot, so I guess that's mostly a non-issue.

Anyway, please let me know what you think!

Thanks!
Well, I had a tm and it is a lot of work to maintain and costly. LM is the way I like it's easy to maintain cheaper and works great! JMO!
Considering the mechanical ability issue, I would go with the simplicity of the demon. I think in terms of simplicity vs effectiveness, you can't beat it for soil flushing. As far as what customers think of it, you have the carpet mills in your corner there. Print out and article about how it is one of the highest rated extraction systems if you think you need
to, but I don't think it's even an issue.
Owning an old used TM IMO, would be troublesome even if you have the mechanical skills.
"Simplicity is the ultimate safistication"--Steve Jobs--stolen from Leonardo DaVinci.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
With a CRB and a Demon you can do most any job

From experience the time difference is not that much using the TM or the Demon Combo
for us any how. We always used mechanical scrubbing even with a TM to do a job things just come out better that way.
Thanks, guys.
Damon

You already are going "big" with op, crb(low moisture). The steaming demon looks pretty cool although I never used one. I'm personally more profitable now with vlm vs tm. I work less and have a lot less maintenance and mechanical down time. I hate truck mounts and I think they are well over rated. That's from 10 years experience before vlm. The only jobs I feel where much easier with the tm where my restaurant jobs although I get similar results with vlm I still hate those jobs but I hate having less money too. I will drop those restaurant jobs like a old girlfriend when something better comes along... Lol
The worst thing about restaurants for me is 9 million chairs and tables ( i mostly work alone)
Simple is better in my mind. I can't imagine the hassles one must have with a TM as opposed to VLM cleaning. I'm sure it's great in some cases. Crazy heat and power...but in Damon's case, as far as that used set up....just adding A/C to that van is an expensive job, then all the other inevitable maintenance and breakage....
imo...bad move.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
I agree with the above. Pass on it.
I love VLM, and always will....but you cannot beat the ease and production of a TM. Ya, you will have down time but nothing like some people talk about? With 3 different tm's, I have never had a break down once! Sure, some stuff stopped working (LOL), but I was able to finish the job.

I think right now, I have the best of both worlds....a Techno Viking ETM. It's super powerful (I would compare it to my 36 blower at 100'), easy to work on, and very lightweight.

I have used just about every piece of equipment out there and think I have finally found exactly what I am looking for in this ETM.

So my advice, is pass on this older van/tm and maybe look into either a ETM or smaller gas TM for your c/v? You could even do a M5 or Jag and run it from the van? Good Luck!
I had a brand new TM for a few years and have pulled hoses what seemed like a million miles. NEVER AGAIN!!!
If I had to leave VLM and go back to that, well, I would end up looking like this;

[Image: fuuu.jpg]

But instead, I look like this;

[Image: pad_cleaning.gif]
ETM, yes. Those are awesome.

I am planning on a Techno in the future. Brand new they are north of 5K plus an LG heater (2K?), plus reels, hoses, etc. so it's 7K - 8K as I see it, unless my numbers are off.

With that said, it's a good investment in terms of ease of repairs, etc.

Would definitely choose that over an Escape for sure.

Glad you're liking it!

(07-02-2013, 12:38 AM)Lefty724 Wrote: I love VLM, and always will....but you cannot beat the ease and production of a TM. Ya, you will have down time but nothing like some people talk about? With 3 different tm's, I have never had a break down once! Sure, some stuff stopped working (LOL), but I was able to finish the job.

I think right now, I have the best of both worlds....a Techno Viking ETM. It's super powerful (I would compare it to my 36 blower at 100'), easy to work on, and very lightweight.

I have used just about every piece of equipment out there and think I have finally found exactly what I am looking for in this ETM.

So my advice, is pass on this older van/tm and maybe look into either a ETM or smaller gas TM for your c/v? You could even do a M5 or Jag and run it from the van? Good Luck!