• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Client wants my recommendation on a machine they can use ...
in between my visits...

They claim theyre not looking to replace me, but the management is fairly new. Told my contact I'd get back to him...

Thoughts? Should i ignore the situation or recommend a bain? Wink

Btw, since new mngmt, they no longer stick to the quarterly schedule. So yea my gut tells me i'd be shooting myself in the foot.
Tell the to buy one of those shark encap vibrators from the infomercials.
Maybe you are making it all look too easy. Sweat more and groan a lot.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
Do they watch you clean?

What machine did you use on your last visit?

Explain to them that your machine and accessories cost several thousand dollars. There is no entry level machine for maintenance aside from a pull behind machine. Let them get one of those and they will use it once (like most consumers).
Hang in there Derek, new management always tries to he a hero at first. Even if they try it themselves ( like Damon said) it won't last. Make sure they see the all the value in your service and expertise you have to keep their facility in top notch condition.
Mike Becker
Tx fellas, i'm still here cleaning. They have watched briefly, they are sometimes open when we're here so it's inevitable.

I'm going to ignore it. If he brings it up again I'll wing it or just tell him idk. He'll catch my drift eventually.
Tell them to rent a rug doctor :-)
(07-01-2013, 09:25 PM)ebarnett Wrote: Tell them to rent a rug doctor :-)

LOL good idea!
(07-01-2013, 09:25 PM)ebarnett Wrote: Tell them to rent a rug doctor :-)

That's actually a great idea. You could expound on how simple it would be for them to use it. Plus it's CRI approved to boot!

http://buy.rugdoctor.com/carpet-cleaners.html
I have taken a different approach when asked this type of question.

My replay is quite forward, Oh are you looking to go in house with your cleanings. We could sell you any equipment you need and train your staff It will only cost you ZXY. I Then just shut up and go about my business, two things happen either they are intending to go in house, now make money off them going in house and possible keep the relationship going just in case they find out this is not for them. They were just curious and now they find the cost too much.

Sooner or later some accounts may purchase equipment to either help them out some in between your cleanings or to replace you
Some one said somewhere, can't recall where, but it's not the roaring 2000's anymore. Many companies are turning over every rock to find a way to save money and/or keep more $ going into the shareholders' pockets.
We all have to ride it out, no matter what business you're in, it's tight right now. Just have to stay focused and keep up the fight.
Mike Becker
Problem with the rug doctor is, if they call you back, you'll have to take a ton of defoamer with you. I still extract those jobs. Spray a little water down, run the Orbot, and all I see is bubbles? Gotta HWE again.Angry

I would tell them to but a small Oreck orbital for a few hundred bucks, a couple of bonnets, and tell them you'll supply them with the chemicals necessary for a small cost. That way they can clean spots and spills, but still need a real cleaner.
i like the Rug Dr. idea! i wouldn't have to mess with defoamer, i encap.
but we have another client that their janitor was cleaning in between our quarterly visits with an under-powered walk-behind HWE machine, and he was making our job a LOT harder. i don't want that either.

i also thought of the little Oreck Orbiter but then i'd have to be careful about which online distrib i pointed them to...if it is a distrib who knows what he is doing, he will deck them out with a Cimex or something similar. it would have to be a generic online janitorial store i reckon.

good ideas, tx fellas Big Grin
(07-02-2013, 05:35 PM)Derek Wrote: i like the Rug Dr. idea! i wouldn't have to mess with defoamer, i encap.
but we have another client that their janitor was cleaning in between our quarterly visits with an under-powered walk-behind HWE machine, and he was making our job a LOT harder. i don't want that either.

i also thought of the little Oreck Orbiter but then i'd have to be careful about which online distrib i pointed them to...if it is a distrib who knows what he is doing, he will deck them out with a Cimex or something similar. it would have to be a generic online janitorial store i reckon.

good ideas, tx fellas Big Grin

Buy the Orbiter yourself and make them a "good deal" on it. Smile
I like the Rug Dr because it is so limited. They won't be able to take that too far, and may very well get frustrated with it, and ultimately the account will remain on your plate. Yet, they will have a usable machine that they can take care of a spill, or clean in a limited sense. So they'll be getting what they're asking you for. The Rug Dr is a tool they should be able to wrap their head around and use, but it shouldn't interfere with your business.
If it were me I"d send them to the nearest dept. store and tell them to buy the BISSEL with the heater LOL. After their cleaner breaks it you"ll be called back for sure. P cleanerTongue