• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where did the dirt go?
A customer sent me a question today. It was a good question. In fact it's one that we hear from time to time. So I've turned that discussion into a EncapBlog post. Hope you find it interesting...

http://www.excellent-supply.com/Where-di..._b_16.html
Great post Rick,

You have explained it well enough to satisfy my curiosity. I have another question that you might be able to shed some light on. On a semi-technical level, how does the encapsulant work? What do the polymers do, what do the surfactants do?

Thanks,

Phil
It works by "Soil Entrapment". Basically the soil particles sticking to the carpet fibers slide off the fiber to the high tech foam and when you vacuum the dryed crystal that contains the dirt particle goes into the vacuum. Surfactants are "suds" or foam. It is what makes things slick so the dirt comes off the fiber and attaches to the foam. The foam is made of the Polymer (plastic). The dirt is moved off the carpet fiber by the "slick" surfactant into the polymer foam. When the foam (solution) dries the dirt cannot reattach back to the fiber and is encased in the crystal that comes off when you vacuum. This is laymans terms and how I try to explain it to customers. I didn't believe it either when I started doing it, but it works. It is amazing to vacuum a fully dried carpet and see how it brightens up.
  Reply   Purge Spammer