• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dog odor
Did an off white cut pile nylon carpet today. Lady had dogs and a cat, and the animals have wallowed up one side and down the other on the carpet. Some urine and feces. It had an animal odor when I started, but the lady did not seem to think it was a problem. I used Hydrox as a pre-spray and cleaner. Scrubbed with beasts and zorbs as a follow on. It looked pretty good when I was finished, although not all of the stains lifted. She called me this evening and said it smelled like "dog." She indicated that it was dry.

Not sure why it smells worse to her now, but I have to make a return to see what I can do. Any thoughts?
Ed Elliott

Did you pre and/or post vac?
Yes, pre and post vac
Ed Elliott

Anytime I realize there have been animals in the carpet I automatically put in some odorcide or other specific odor treatment into my solution. Anytime you wet a carpet like that you are going to release odors and get the "wet dog" smell. The odorcide helps neutralize some of that.
Heavy dog and cat urine can actually smell stronger after cleaning even with Hydrox. She probably didn't mention before because she just expected it to be gone after cleaning. It will probably require treatment with something like Odorcide and or Nature's Miracle on the cat pee.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
Gotta love people.... I'm getting tired of dealing with scumbags that let pets treat their house like a barn...then expect miracles.... I don't care if you hwe...encap or use a magic wand you cannot clean piss 100% from fiber or pad...maybe from some solid surface...I certainly would not want someone to crb a piss carpet then crb my carpet later that day...tell them to rip up the carpet and put some straw down...jmo
I ask because one or both (especially post vac) will release the wet dog smell.

It won't last long.

This is where a CRB comes in handy. Run it before you vac and spray.

The other guys gave you great feedback. Odorcide is good as is Fresh Wave IAQ.

(07-30-2013, 09:49 PM)Ed E Wrote: Yes, pre and post vac

I can't stand it either.

The pet is the one that's suffering, really. People don't walk them, take them outside and do what's required as an owner. But of course they blame the pet when there's a problem.

Then you have people on the opposite end that leave their pets outside all year long. This is OK (not really ok, but passable I suppose) if you live in a mild year round climate like San Diego or Malibu.

But Las Vegas? Come on....

(07-30-2013, 11:07 PM)Rob D Wrote: Gotta love people.... I'm getting tired of dealing with scumbags that let pets treat their house like a barn...then expect miracles.... I don't care if you hwe...encap or use a magic wand you cannot clean piss 100% from fiber or pad...maybe from some solid surface...I certainly would not want someone to crb a piss carpet then crb my carpet later that day...tell them to rip up the carpet and put some straw down...jmo
Thanks gents. Good ideas. I have odorcide on the truck, but I did not even think about using it for some reason, other than the smell was not terrible before I started. Noticeable, but not terrible.

MikeB-I did use Natures Miracle on the cat pee area, and that seemed to do ok.

Rob D- I will keep some straw on top of the truck for the next one of these I encounter.....maybe I can sell the straw and save myself the effort.
Ed Elliott

I'll add my vote to using Odorcide. An application of Odorcide should do the trick. In future cases, you could add Odorcide directly to your cleaning solution to do it all in one shot.
I like what Rick has said many times... Commercial - is where encaping shines.

Residential with these kinda of problems IMO hwe is the solution IF there is a solution sometimes these problems can not be fixed and yes clients like this can drive you nuts but sometimes it will smell worse when just finishing job... if you take a bucket of urine and stir it will smell worse...
What ever happened to the 10% rule. If the carpet has been used by pets as a toilet and 10% or more of the carpet is effected we recommend that it is best to replace carpet and pad, scrub and seal sub floor. In our years of being in this business we find that it is the only way to get rid of the odor.
If we quote a job and our competitors guarantee to get rid of the odor I encourage the customer to go with them, but to get it in writing and hold them to it.
Don, common sense went out the window a long time ago from what I see these days. People don't want to be accountable for their laziness. Let fee fee pee and poop all over instead of letting them out and have someone else deal with it and if it still smells, it's the cleaner's fault. WRONG I make zero guarantees on pet odor for these people. Clean it, use Odorcide, let them go back to living like farm animals, move on. On a small accident spot, sure I'll go the extra mile and do my best to eliminate the odor, but you can tell when it's a lost cause as soon as you walk into some of these homes. Replace carpet and re seal and next week it will be the same again.
Rob's straw idea is the best for these people.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
Went back today to check on it. I think it has less of a "dog" smell today than before we did the cleaning. I raked in some fresh scent and was on my way in less than 15 minutes. Lady was happy. I left a bale of straw on her porch, compliments of Rob D.......
Ed Elliott