• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Persistence Pays- Who's your target?
Reading through the blog by Rick ( Persistence Pays ), got me wondering which market within the Commercial sector other Commercial Carpet Cleaners prefer to target.

*Do you blanket the entire market, and hope for the best? Or do you "Cherry Pick" select companies, and pursue them with great intensity, until they are yours?

*Which industry within the commercial landscape do you consider to have real potential- to be the Jewels in the crown so to speak?

Thanks,
Ned Smile
Under-Promise, Over-Deliver.
What to go after? That depends a lot on your market. Government buildings, healthcare, schools, nicer office buildings, there really is no limit to what you can go after. I'm a big believer in "cherry picking" the choice accounts. Lock in a handful of desirable accounts and then hammer away at them. That's what I mean about "persistence". Continue to cultivate the choice accounts till they finally become your client. Hey, somebody will eventually need to clean their carpet, and that somebody might as well be you.
I agree Rick, they WILL eventually need their carpet cleaned, the big challenge is landing those particular accounts, and being right there in front of them when they enter the market.

Ned.
Under-Promise, Over-Deliver.
And that is the exact reason why PERSISTENCE pays off. If you will stay in front of them, when the time comes for carpet cleaning your odds increase exponentially that they'll choose you. And if this is a quality account that you've hand picked, your initiative to stay in front of them will be well worth the effort.
I love to cherry pick also but in a small community it has its challenge. at least on the residential side of things. You may work for the guy who lives in the million dollar home but he also wants you to clean is section 8 apartment complex ...
I undersand what you're saying. "Cherry picking" can work when you're in a community that has at least a moderate amount of commercial buildings. But if you live in a rural area, you may have to drive a little to get into a community where there's a stronger amount of businesses. A little bit of highway time is often part of the commercial equation. Yet we were never opposed to driving a little, because we could line up some nice jobs that made the drive worthwhile. Plus evening and weekend driving is relatively stress free.
Good thing about commercial [if big enough] is you can add driving and setup times into your cost of servicing that account, so as Rick said driving can be worth while.
Someone told me many years ago if you see a building you would love to have as an account, go by with your camera take a picture and blow it up a big as you can and pin it up in your office so you see it every day, and never stop trying to get into the building, once in it is up to you to complete the sale.
It worked for us and we kept that account for 25 years, turned into a few million dollars over those years.