• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aksimet, Spamming, and Banning on the EncapBoard
Hey Encappers,

I just wanted to let you know about something on the EncapBoard.

We have installed a feature on the EncapBoard called Aksimet.

Aksimet is a service that monitors blogs and message boards for spam. Spam is more of an issue than you may imagine. There are tons of spammers crawling through the internet trying to load their messages onto unsupervised blogs or message boards. These messages normally contain a link back to a site, so they gain SEO value from their spam.

To help ward off spam we use Aksimet. However it's a two edged sword. While it helps to reduce the amount of spam that lands on our forum, on occasion it has banned a few of our regulars at one time or another too.

I know this can be frustrating! If you get banned for no apparent reason, your immediate thoughts are probably going to be - what in the world was that for? Well take my word for it, this is not about you - it's just a piece of software trying to do its job, and it doesn't always get it right.

For example, one of our regular contributors here got banned today by Aksimet. And naturally he was alarmed. Please guys, if this occurs - shoot me an email. All I have to do is go into the admin for the forum and un-ban you.

Please accept my apology for Aksimet's occasional overzealousness - but unfortunately it's required with the level of spamming that occurs. So it's a necessary part of the equation. I just thought you all should know what may occur from time to time.

In addition to Aksimet, sometimes spam will still slip through; you may have noticed this from time to time. If you happen to spot spam, I'd appreciate your sending me an email or a PM so that I can ban the spammers. We have zero tolerance for spam. Thanks!

We really appreciate the excellent spirit on the forum. You guys contribute a lot of helpful information and it is very much appreciated by all. So keep up the good work guys. And please bear with us as we employ Aksimet and our own intervention to keep the spam off the board.

Regards,
Rick
Thanks Rick for looking after us mere mortals. Blush

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
I have to agree Rick we have had lots of spam issues and a few of our sites also