• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mildew in residential cut pile
Have a customer that had a water leak and seems to have mildew issues. Once the area is fully dried, what is the best plan to make sure the mildew & odor is killed past the carpet backing?
Ed Elliott

Replace
+1 to what Rick said. But if guess if that is out of the question I would HWE with Hydrox or encap punch and treat the padding for ordor.
Has the carpet been wet for more than 2 days?
Can you pull the carpet up & look at the back to see
if there is black mold. If black mold is there you must tear it up.
If it is cleanable you might want to look into the BENEFECT products.
Clean & odorcide it. If carpet has been wet for a few days then REPLACE.
If you have the carpet pulled back you might as well replace the pad, check out the sub floor, put back together then clean the carpet.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Tread carefully if you are not an expert in the field of mildew correction
Check with your insurance provider to see if you have coverage for this service.
There have been some very large law suits filed against cleaners and they have lost over this very matter.
Thanks for the responses. Turns out the carpet got wet, but never mildewed. The lady was "worried" about mildew. So was a straightforward cleaning of the water stain and using an odorcide.
Ed Elliott

I was taught that mildew is the white stuff on plants... in a home on something like carpet ... not mildew... its mold that being said no reason to burn down the house but i do believer replacement is the best course of action.
Can not remember all the details but Shaw did some tests years ago and tried to simulate a mildew situation and found out that the last thing to form mildew was the carpet