• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Orbot/Sprayborg questions
Photo 
Recently bought an Orbot/SprayBorg. Have a few questions that I thought some of you with experience with them could answer.
1. Is the left handle supposed to feel warm after operating the machine awhile?

2. OK. don't laugh.... I have always encapped with a cimex and pads. Never used microfibers or bonnets. How do you maintain/clean these? I mean without having the wife clean them in the washing-machine with my tidy whities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo4oEdtDRPo

Thanks
Not sure of warm left handle. You may wish to take switch out of handle and confirm the connections are tight. I had a similar warming problem on a vac and the female metal connectors were not tight on the switch.
For washing microfiber and Tuways I use warm water and a little detergent. For white cotton pads I use bleach. I use low heat on dryer for everything.

Lee
Sounds like an electrical problem (possibly not earthing properly), I would have a qualified electrician check it out.

They can also test & tag it to certify it is safe for when you go onto jobs that require such certification.

Having done the course and purchased the equipment, I test and tag all my own electrical equipment and have the test machine checked yearly by a qualified person, not just an electrician.

Death is final.

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Get it checked pronto.

I recently had one of the Orbots stop working for this very reason.
As mentioned above. It needs to be checked. I like how Shorty put it... "Death is final".

Most guys wash their bonnets with a good laundry detergent such as Tide, and a little bleach. Let the bonnets dry flat or line dry. Or you can even leave them damp if you plan to use them again the next day.
There is a switch and wire harness for the switch that can get overheated on the handle of that machine. I've seen it happen on both sides of the handle on that machine. All that current going thru the switch and harness can, over time, cause it to start melting and heating.
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 
Rick, can you still get parts (switch) for Orbots?

Pulled the switch and getting it tested. Noticed the wires were twisted around several times. This may be the problem, maybe not, but everything visually looked OK.
Has anyone replaced the main switch wires with a thicker gauge wire?

PS. That switch is a real bugger to remove. Like pulling a good tooth.
Rod, What do you think the cause of the overheating was? Cheapo switches? wrong gauge wire?
I always put my microfiber (both looped and thin with scrubbing lines) into the dryer...is there a reason for not doing this ? I never use softner sheets because I heard they affect the bonnets ability to absorb.
From my experience the MF pads have a life of about 6 months to a year depending on how often you use them. They will eventually wear out and the middle will give. When this happens it's almost impossible to run the pads under a machine. MF pads are a must have of course, just don't plan on using the same pad forever.

As far as cleaning goes, since they do have a limited shelf life I don't think tossing them in a dryer will do much damage. In fact, I put Zorbs in the dryer as well. I do use a low heat dry though and haven't noticed any problems.

(10-23-2013, 02:45 PM)TigerJ Wrote: I always put my microfiber (both looped and thin with scrubbing lines) into the dryer...is there a reason for not doing this ? I never use softner sheets because I heard they affect the bonnets ability to absorb.
HOS is a REAL 1st class company. I bought this machine used, however, and they contacted me with concern over the switch and are sending me a replacement one.
Now that is what I call a company that stands behind their products.
Both Rick's company and HOS USA are great with service!
Now I have to work on a better handle latch to replace the flimsy original aluminum one.
Really? I called them last week and was informed that I had to look elsewhere as the part was no longer stocked.

(10-24-2013, 02:08 PM)FloorCareMD Wrote: HOS is a REAL 1st class company. I bought this machine used, however, and they contacted me with concern over the switch and are sending me a replacement one.
Now that is what I call a company that stands behind their products.
Those HOS switches and wire harnesses probably should be beefed up to handle more current, but I don't know if a higher current switch is available that would fit in the opening. When I have changed them out in the past they are usually fine for quite some time. It's probably just a weakness in the system that you will have to address from time to time.
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 
Beginning to wonder about my above mentioned praise for HOS.
They sent a switch that would never fit in the machine (way too wide) unless I did some cutting and made the switch hole bigger.
Called them last week and they said they would send a proper switch out immediately and that I should receive it by Saturday. Well, It is now Wednesday and no switch.
Thinking of putting on a real switch (metal toggle)on mine, like the type on a commercial grade Royal vacuum cleaner, not that cheaply made British plastic piece of crap switch these machines use.