• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urine in carpet
Came across 2 area rugs used by a dog. Often. The urine went all the way through to the backing. Used Proxy HDOX on it. Liberally. Let set for about 20 min then used a sz to absorb up alot. Client can still smell some faint urine. What else can I use to get it better? Was thinking of some deodorizer. But that is like spraying cologne on a non showering person.

Sent from my SPH-L900
I prefer immersion washing with acetic acid for urine affected rugs.

Depending on the rug and if it's a bleeder, there are many different way to clean rugs just like there are many potential problems in Oriental rugs that I would never attempt without training for identification.

Bear in mind that that urine crystals dry to a salt, which are re-activated with high humidity and begin to off-gas that wicked ammonia odour.

Fair brings a tear to one's eye, don't it?? Big Grin

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
It was 2 throw rugs. Regular rugs. Nothing fancy. The backings were even stained yellow. Sigh. Had to clean on site. The product I used on it at a dilution of 10 oz to a gallon is a viruside fungicide and kills mrsa. Will also clean carpets. I use it for tile and grout mainly. But short of immersion it was the best way I knew how. It worked well on different urine areas for me so far. I think the carpet was just too saturated. She planned on throwing the rugs away as soon as the puppy got bigger. Just to get the smell down.

Sent from my SPH-L900
Hey Patrick

Some guys have used Hydrox on urine and I'm sure its good, but in my experience nothing beats good ole powdered enzyme.

My personal fav is OSR (odor stain remover). As an enzyme, its not recommended for wool, since enzymes disassemble organic proteins, but for the rugs you're looking at and wall to wall, its pretty much invincible.

And you can even use it on wool in a pinch if you don't leave it in and flush thoroughly.
The deodorizer they sell here works REALLY well too. If it is just a faint odor find the spot and get it nice and wet with it. Then let it dry.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Osr sounds good. I have good deodorizer. I believe the same that is sold here.

Sent from my SPH-L900
I started using this system about a month ago when it came out:

http://www.bridgepoint.com/cleaning_guid...nation.pdf

I have used it twice, once on a light contamination job, and about ten days ago on a very badly contaminated cat urine issue. The cat had a bladder infection, and had used 4 separate corners in two different rooms to relieve his-self. The odor was awful, with dried urine salts/crystals on the carpet surface. The carpet and pad was on a slab. I spent quite a bit of time on it, but I have to say that I was very impressed with the results. I have checked back at the residence twice since treating, and the lady is very pleased.

I am going to promote urine treatment more on my website, as I have some growing confidence in my ability to deal with this difficult issue. Best part is that it is a premium priced service.
Ed Elliott

Waterclaw is the key tool.
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
Robert-Yes it is. I have the small hand held one, but am going to buy the bigger one that you stand on.
Ed Elliott

Vlm here. No extractor. I normally would not do area rugs but gave it a shot with the hdox.

Sent from my SPH-L900