• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Working With Back Pain....
Was in an auto collision back in late October. Ever since then I've been dealing with some severe lower back pain. It ratchets up whenever I am done working for the day and often when traveling in between jobs.

Anybody else coping with this?

Any tips you could share?

Thanks!
been suffering since 98. Hurt mine helping someone load their huge 38" Advance autoscrubber into a Chevy van with a homemade wood ramp. Ramp snapped. So did something in my back... Chiropractor is some help. Jobs still get finished. Sorry.
I'm not a medical practitioner and do not profess to be able to help you or anyone else with any medical problems.

All I can say is what has helped me over the last four decades.

I originally did my back in when I used to manufacture large concrete pipes.

This would involve shoveling concrete into a revolving tube, and twisting the shovel to stop the concrete forming a bump.

This was a 12 hour a day job, 6 days a week.

Enough on that.

I've had numerous x-rays, tried acupuncture, chiropractors, physiotherapists, pills, lotions, potions, you name it.

I finally spat the dummy with a chiro; that left me unable to stand up, so I actually left his "practice" in worse condition than I arrived.

No more practicing on me.

Losing weight and doing body stretches have done wonders.

I now have a remedial masseuse, that I now see less & less each year, she was absolutely brilliant, but you need a GOOD ONE.

I also have an inverter bed that I can strap my ankles in and slowly suspend my body upside down.

This re-aligns my spine, (which, like my mind apparently, is bent). Big Grin

I'm also using this much less now.

I think the major improvement though, was coming off of the rotary machines after thirty years, and getting Big Yella.

This has stopped my twisting and turning, lifting and lowering of the rotary when working, as well as purchasing ramps and not being ten foot tall and bullet-proof by always lifting my machine in and out of the van.Blush

In effect, my lifestyle change has reduced my back pain enormously, even though my pelvis is tilted forward and the extreme lower section of my spine is twisted slightly.

I take NO MEDICATION for my back pain at all, I'll book in for a massage twice over three days, and no more problems.

Over the next couple of weeks after this, I'll use the inverter bed to keep the spine stretched, if you like those words.

Sitting in front of the computer for to long gives me a pain in the back.

Hope this is of some use.

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Industry is great on the back As Shorty said the worst is the rotary machines
Thanks, guys.

The feedback is much appreciated. I've been having my back adjusted. It's helped somewhat. The issue with work and sleeping still persists though.
A good chiropractor that starts with complete X-rays can be helpful. It was for me. I also keep a big bag of frozen peas in the freezer to apply to the area. 15-20 minutes then remove.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
I found back pain to be closely associated with weakness of stomach muscles and I agree with Shorty about a good masseuse, too. One thing that has worked for me is using a balance ball with free weights. Sit on the balance ball with feet firmly on the floor with weights in each hand. Then do sit ups while balancing on the ball raising your torso and the weights at the same time. This is unlike a floor sit-up that puts pressure on your coccyx and you can condition across multiple axis's quickly and efficiently. A few sets of 30 or more during a day will have great results. That core strength helps my lower back immensely. I haven't had any problems for years.
Robert Balliot
President
Hoss Home Care, LLC
http://hosshomecare.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robertballiot
i agree with Shorty & Hoss @ others...for me when i am in shape and have my weight under control my back feels better.

the bigger my gut gets and the more out of shape, the low back pain flares up easily.

it may not be a fix-all...but it WILL help.
Many good suggestions in this thread. I can echo some of them.

The chiropractor never helped me, but the acupuncturist was amazing. It's a bit weird, but it really worked for me.

I stopped lifting as much as I could. Got rid of the rotary 175 and bought a sprayborg. Put the big boy wheels on the cimex. Bought a ramp for my van. Made a cart for my accessories and vac. Now I can usually get away without lifting much of anything. When I do, I use good lifting posture.

Keep the weight off and exercise (especially core) is great advice as well.
Ed Elliott

Yep, exercise is very healthy for everyone. I'm at the gym 7 days a week doing something, It keeps me going. LOL!
Blush Seeing as how some people have mentioned it, I guess I better come clean.

I also work out in a gym. BlushBlush

Once every four months I'm down there working out.

Most of it is done with the Cimex, but I still need the Sprayborg to get in between the treadmills.

24 hour a day, seven days a week, so I usually go in there at around 11:00, that's their quietest period on a Wednesday.

Good money, and I've also picked up several jobs from the clientele that has ranged from residential to commercial carpet & upholstery cleaning, as well as leather cleaning.

I had a small vest made up with a message on the back that read:

Ask me about

carpets
upholstery
mattresses
leather
PROTECTION

This always raised a few questions and a laugh, but got me work.

When I was there recently, I left it sitting at the bottom of the stairs while I went back up for a few other things.

When I got back, some dog had stolen it.Angry

This IS NOT a very nice neighbourhood.

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
About 8 years ago I hurt my back lifting a carpet extractor into the back of a Subaru. some nights after work the pain would be so intense that sleep was impossible. The best thing that happened to me was I lost some work. It gave my back a chance to rest and with time it slowly got better. after about 4 years, the back pain was completely gone and I am fine today. However, this is what I can say from experience:

1. Take care of your back! it is the most important part of a working man. Before you go and lift anything heavy, think the motion through, lift with your legs, and know your limits! Everytime I lift something, I think of those 4 hard years of pain.

2. Get the right equipment for the job. If you need to load a machine in a van, get a ramp. I have a buddy who used to load a propane buffer into the back of a truck using a 5 gallon bucket as a sort of step. It was a circus act to watch! He was clever, but not smart.