• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Introducing the VARIO Orbital Scrubber
Hi it's my first post so please go easy. I'm in the uk and currently use a challenger for encap. I've modified it so it's a wheels down machine but I like the look of these lowboy/vario's . Are there any plans to have 240v versions that can be used in the UK..
cheers
  Reply   Purge Spammer
(02-06-2014, 04:16 PM)encapman Wrote: The VARIO is a truly excellent tool! Is it the "only" tool a cleaner should have in his arsenal? Not really. It's simply a well rounded low moisture orbital scrubber. However if you want to service residential accounts - you shouldn't entirely rule out hot water extraction. HWE is useful for upholstery cleaning, and there are times that a carpet will need to be thoroughly rinsed in order to flush a heavy soil load from the carpet. Just as a skilled carpenter will use a variety of tools to accomplish his task, a professional carpet cleaner should be able choose the correct tool to properly get the job done.

Thanks for the information. I was thinking that a Vario and a CRB would be the only main two ways to clean carpet till something else changes in the future. I would like to get a small upholstery machine for that kind of cleaning on furniture or serious spot removal on carpets. Other wise, HWE would be a last method/purchase for me not anytime soon. I have seen a few companies out there who do not use HWE. How are they making due without it? Thanks
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Mason- I think the most practical and economical way to offer the HWE method is with a porty. A decent one is in the $1800-$2500 range new. I have one, although I do not use it very often. Only when the situation requires it. It is another tool in the box, but if you are like most people, you have to buy a tool at a time.....
Ed Elliott

(02-07-2014, 07:30 AM)Ed E Wrote: Mason- I think the most practical and economical way to offer the HWE method is with a porty. A decent one is in the $1800-$2500 range new. I have one, although I do not use it very often. Only when the situation requires it. It is another tool in the box, but if you are like most people, you have to buy a tool at a time.....

I completly understand what your saying. I guess I am not sold on porty's, I am not sure about the fact that I have to use thier water and thier wherever to dump the soiled water. Not to offend anyone by no means here, but I dont see it being user/customer friendly. Now, if I am can be shown how to make work I will be all ears and eyes. Thanks for your reply
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Pile lifting and getting hair out of the carpet is effective with the CRB and getting additional dry soil out of the carpet before you add the solution is also important, so a good commercial vacuum like the ProTeam or Lindhaus will also add to your results.
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 
Right on the money Rick we have lots of different tools in the kit, we may not use some of them a lot but when you need a tool it is there.
Nothing worst then getting a late night call because a simple task cannot be done due to not having the right tool in the van
Some thoughts on the Vario.....after having the chance to test drive it at MikeFest.

Being one of the few low moisture cleaners in attendance among a sea of truck mount loyalists....the choice between carbon monoxide poisoning in a noisy parking lot, or alcohol poisoning in the bar encap cleaning the carpet - was an easy one :-)

On first impression, the Vario is a nice looking machine....but as a current Orbot user, I wasn't sure how I felt about having the solution spray system be a separate entity - more on that in a bit.
The Vario does run very smooth and quiet, which is a huge bonus. The handle feels sturdy, and there was little to no wiggle even when navigating uneven portions of carpet. Unlike the Orbot, the Vario was quite easy for someone to lift up - another plus. It in no way felt like a "budget" machine.
As for the spray system...I was concerned that it might be less efficient than an on board tank. However, the fact that it is battery powered, has a spray wand, and can be used in a much more versatile and situation specific fashion than a simple front mounted sprayer - I feel like the inclusion of the Mytee sprayer to be a better choice than I first perceived it to be.

In an earlier post, rick asked "Is it the only tool a cleaner should have?" Maybe not....but for someone starting out on a limited budget - no tool would get you off to a better start for the money. For the established cleaner, if you haven't tried encapping with an op machine.....it's definitely worth a closer look.
Great post! Thanks for the feedback.

Rick,

I have a quick question:

Is there any protection for the bearing when using the shower feed?

(02-25-2014, 04:22 AM)Dave Lyall Wrote: Some thoughts on the Vario.....after having the chance to test drive it at MikeFest.

Being one of the few low moisture cleaners in attendance among a sea of truck mount loyalists....the choice between carbon monoxide poisoning in a noisy parking lot, or alcohol poisoning in the bar encap cleaning the carpet - was an easy one :-)

On first impression, the Vario is a nice looking machine....but as a current Orbot user, I wasn't sure how I felt about having the solution spray system be a separate entity - more on that in a bit.
The Vario does run very smooth and quiet, which is a huge bonus. The handle feels sturdy, and there was little to no wiggle even when navigating uneven portions of carpet. Unlike the Orbot, the Vario was quite easy for someone to lift up - another plus. It in no way felt like a "budget" machine.
As for the spray system...I was concerned that it might be less efficient than an on board tank. However, the fact that it is battery powered, has a spray wand, and can be used in a much more versatile and situation specific fashion than a simple front mounted sprayer - I feel like the inclusion of the Mytee sprayer to be a better choice than I first perceived it to be.

In an earlier post, rick asked "Is it the only tool a cleaner should have?" Maybe not....but for someone starting out on a limited budget - no tool would get you off to a better start for the money. For the established cleaner, if you haven't tried encapping with an op machine.....it's definitely worth a closer look.
(02-26-2014, 03:09 AM)TheCleaningDude Wrote: Is there any protection for the bearing when using the shower feed?

In fact there is. We go to great lengths to protect the bearing so that it can be used in a showerfeed mode. The standard machine, when it comes to us is unprotected. However we take every machine apart and then pack the bearing with marine grade grease, and seal its casing with silicone. It takes a fair amount of time, so it costs us more for each machine, but it's the only way you could safely use the Vario in a showerfeed application.
I was wondering that as well

good to know Rick!

Couple questions about it
is it 1/4 or 3/8's offset ? Im thinking 3/8's from the video
do they use a chinese bearing ( like the orbot did for a while)
or a japanese/german/other?

for future maintenance are you able to press out and install a new bearing in their unit or need to order a complete new pieces because they did it a wacky way ? lol

Orbots new/old design - both fairly easily on replacement
[Image: 2014-02-24164136.jpg]
Hey this is Rod,
I didn't realize what a "real" counterweight assembly looked like until I tore apart the Vario. You can tell it was NOT an afterthought in design but was carefully constructed. It is really beefy, thicker metal plate, streamlined weights and larger diameter center bolt attachment. I'm not sure where the bearing itself is manufactured, but most bearings these days come out of Asia. We pack the exterior sides of the bearing with high quality Marine grade grease and seal the cup around the bearing. This keeps the unwanted elements from getting into the bearing. We had even considered using a ceramic bearing so that it could be used in a shower-feed application, but found it unnecessary when we made those mods. The bearing itself can be taken out of its housing and replaced if necessary and is simpler in design than the Orbot setup pictured above. I am not sure about the offset but I can check it when I put together our next batch of machines.
Rod Clarkin
Excellent Supply 727-821-2020 
great Rod

If you could post a pick of their set up that would be fantastic!
I dont understand why hos used such a small center bolt, so anything larger then theirs is a plus
I am the one that purchased the Vario at Mikeyfest. What a great deal. Especially was nice that Rick included the Mytee Boss Sprayer in the deal. It is a good looking machine and very easy to load in the van. It does run smooth and I have only used it twice this week since we have been busy with a lot of travertine and slip resistant work. I will give updates in the future and feel free to contact me if you have any questions. Rick is a class act.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Thanks for the feedback Jim. It is always nice to work with you and Ian. Thinking back to the first time we met at Mikefest, I think it's been about 10 years or so. It's great to see a father/son team working so well together. And I really loved the $20 Gift Card idea that Ian came up with for your company business card. If it's OK with you, maybe you could (or I could) scan that card and show the folks here what you came up with. I thought it was pretty slick!

Enjoy your new VARIO! Thanks again for your continued business. Smile
Jim!
It was great seeing you and Ian at MikeFest.....and I can't wait to hear some more feedback on the Vario once you've had some time behind it- especially how it pairs with the off board spray system in terms of efficiency.

To echo what Rick said.....the way in which
You guys have been utilizing the $20 gift cards is genius! They look sharp, and have tangible value in the eyes of your customers, both existing and prospective.

It's good to see you on here Jim, I'm looking forward to exchanging more great business ideas with you and Ian