• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browning or Water Damage?
    Hello Everyone!

Been trolling this board for some time now and finally signed up. New to the encap side of the business and excited to apply what I've read so far.

Need some advice. Recently picked up a commercial job. Following up after someone else who did a number on the carpets. Long story short, previous cleaner used hwe (I don't have a problem with hwe. In fact, I think its great.). Too much solution was used and they did not properly rinse or recover the water during the cleaning. In addition, the work was done on a Friday evening and they closed the doors after flushing. Absolutely no airflow in this place.

Does anyone know where I'm going with this? There is either a severe amount of browning or water stain as a result of the previous cleaning. I'm posting a picture for your review. I'm thinking of ordering Hydrox to reverse or help with the situation. Your input is greatly appreciated.

One more thing. I did go into this place to post pad as well as pad cap to see if it would budge. No success on either end. Thanks everyone!

[Image: OfficeEntry_zpsc5fa2022.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0]
  Reply   Purge Spammer
I can't see any browning or water damage in the photo.

Let me clarify a couple of things first.

To get "browning" in carpet, the carpet generally must have a jute backing.

When this gets over-wet, wicking to the surface will occur causing "Cellulosic Browning".

An application of an Hydrogen Peroxide based product usually removes this.

I always add one to my cleaning solution in my Cimex to remove these type of problems and also coffee spots/spills.

We do not get Hydrox down under, but if I was in your shoes, this is what I would use.

I believe most of your carpets have a synthetic backing called "Actionback" or some other brand name.??

I believe that what you are seeing is "Wicking".

When carpet takes too long to dry, then the "wicking", is moist soil being drawn from the base of the carpet fibers during drying.

This may be compared to the "wick" in a kerosene lamp, where kerosene is drawn to the top where it can be ignited and a flame lights up the area.

The residual soils wick up the carpet fibers and dry on top of the face fibers.

I can see what MAY be some browning around the base of the pot plant, but this may also be a reflection.

The clean areas are under the desk is where there is no foot traffic and also where they have had a plastic mat to save damage from a chair, there is no "browning" in these areas.

There are very heavy traffic lanes which also would be enhanced with the addition of Hydrox when cleaning.

I would also wheel away any filing cabinets that are on wheels and do a proper job when cleaning, the Cimex will get right to the wall where a wand may not, depending on wand type and distance to the wall.

Hope this helps.

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Take me as I am, or watch me as I go.
I'll retire when I can no longer do what I love, or no longer love what I do.
Stop moving, start dying........
Thank you Shorty!

Interesting thing is, there was hardly any soil or browning transferred onto my bonnet pad during the cleaning process. I also grabbed a couple cotton towels to see if any wicking from browning or soil would transfer over. I got nothing.

By the way. I do not have a Cimex or OP machine. Working with a 175 RPM.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
(02-03-2014, 05:28 PM)Shorty Wrote: We do not get Hydrox down under, but if I was in your shoes, this is what I would use.

Shorty is so sharp! This is the EXACT product to use if there's browning or water staining. Bonnet cleaning with Encap-HydrOx is a great problem solver in cases like this. Give it a try.

Of course, there may be a greater mystery going on here than browning. It's hard to say for sure without actually seeing it. Did you happen to taste the spot? ...
Just kidding Wink
I didn't taste the spots Rick. But, they smell like money to me : )

Was looking at Hydrox and noticed you sell by the case online. Do you also sell in single bottles as well?

One more thing. Here's what I imagine when cleaning with Hydrox:

- Mix Hydrox for browning procedure
- Pre-spray affected area and allow 10 min. dwell time
- Lightly spray bonnet pad with Hydrox and scrub areas using my 175 RPM

Does that sound about right?

Added one more photo to give you guys another view.

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply   Purge Spammer
(02-03-2014, 08:14 PM)IDreamEncap Wrote: - Mix Hydrox for browning procedure
- Pre-spray affected area and allow 10 min. dwell time
- Lightly spray bonnet pad with Hydrox and scrub areas using my 175 RPM

You nailed it. That is the way to handle "browning".

And yes, you can buy Encap-HydrOx in a single gallon...
https://www.excellent-supply.com/Releasi..._p_64.html

However your photos look more like a heavily soiled carpet than browning. Perhaps some wicking too. But I'm not detecting browning (could just be the photo, lighting, resolution, etc). What it looks like from the photo is a trashed carpet.
If you look at the second row, first picture in the chems. he does sell it by the gallon @ $34.42 per gal.

Ha ha, I just noticed I'm a junior encapper, lol
Encap-HydOx it is Rick. Thank you for your time.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
One other little thing.

I wouldn't be bothered buying 1 gallon at a time, I'd buy a case lot.

Once you get used to the results, you will be using it more.

The customers appreciate the cleaner carpet with less re-curing stains. Wink

+ you save money buying in bulk, as well as saving more money again on freight.

As an example, I buy two x five gallon drums each time I order the equivalent product down under.

I'm very frugal with my dollars and let the cents take care of themselves. Big Grin

Short 1
I don't regret my past, I just regret the time I've wasted with the wrong people.
Hey Shorty, great advice again. Would love to get hold of some Hydrox if only it was available in oz.
What do you use that is equivalent and where from?
Thanks.
Rob
Thanks Shorty!

You always have good advice for everyone. Appreciate you taking the time.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
Rob, email sent to you.

Thanks IDream, just trying to help.

Short 1
The biggest problems in cleaning water damaged carpet are stains and cellulosic browning. In Australia we have a lot of jute backings on our carpets and we solve these problem at online shop of water filter system. thanks.
Martin, I'm going to call you on this post.

Please explain fully how you would attend to a water damage with cellulosic browning in 400M2 of wool carpet on the 17th floor in a commercial building??

I can't understand how this system works.

"In Australia we have a lot of jute backings on our carpets and we solve these problem at online shop of water filter system".

I look forward with great anticipation to your response.

K.O. ( Shorty) Glanville

[Image: 920d9492-4f10-4774-a3ed-4954686e9c9b_zpsd91f4504.jpg]

Recipient of the WORLD’S FIRST Honourary Woolsafe membership,
W.O.N.Z. WoolcareTechnician # 16
I.I.C.R.C. Water Damage Restoration Technician # 37323
I doubt very much we will hear any more from this guy.

He's been banned from several forums, has posted only one post on some forums, and never activated his account on others.

All forums vary greatly in what they are for.

He appears to be a salesperson working out of the Cold Ghost (Gold Coast), in Australia, where many of the world's greatest con-men either go to or come from. Big Grin

Short 1 Rolleyes