• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how many of you guys are a solo business?
do you work alone, how many employees do you have ?
alone on resi, my biz partner (the missus) helps me on 90% of our comm projects. she does all the pre-vacuuming. a job i wouldn't want!
truthfully i think I can do the commercial easier alone... the places i clean have already been vacuumed so that's not a problem... its the resi that are hard to do alone if its a two story home...
Flying solo 13 years..great respect and relations with customers. " checks on the counter fill in the amount" is a common response when appointment made. " key under mat" , " my garage code is"...Would be hard to have an employee when I have such trust with customers. I would feel like I'm breaking trust bringing on an employee.. Unless my boys become part of the business and if that happens I would say my boys working with me. Kind of different than " this is chuck my new employee"
I have that also, huge % give me the key and code lock up check on counter, and i do have a helper with me about 30% of the time... but doing a whole house alone, upstairs, downstairs can be a choir alone I think managing the hoses... dang... i have done it but boy its tough
Two story residential alone is not fun at all.
solo for 32 years started in 81 time has moved on now 71 yrs young and still love cleaning dirty white carpets try to work 5-6 dAYS a week it's better than golf or the gym. jz.
  Reply   Purge Spammer
nice Jack. better to wear out than rust out!
Solo here too most of the time. My wife knows her way around the op machine though when I need her on a Saturday or on a big 2 story job. She's a good helper and cute too!
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
Just me and the wife.
It's just me here, but I have multiple personality disorder so there's always someone to talk and/or argue with.
I currently have 4 men I can call on for helping when needed. I finished 75,000 sq ft recently and 1 helper and HWE, but now it would be done with Trinity and Cimex. OP has extended my working life, I am 57 and generally work 6 days, no need to slow down........
LOL David.
(04-18-2013, 09:05 PM)David Edwards Wrote: It's just me here, but I have multiple personality disorder so there's always someone to talk and/or argue with.

now that's funny David Big Grin

I also work alone and honestly I like it that way. I also think the trust issue is a biggy with employees, I just don't know if I think it's worth it on residential to have employees unless you are going to be a much bigger business with multiple employees and the ability to have systems & staff in place to pre-empt or sort out those potential issues.

To be solo I think you really have to like your own company.

Cheers

Jamie
I mostly work alone also. If I have big jobs my son or daugther will help me.