• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chasing my money
I am getting so dang tired of always having to chase my money with some of my customers. My Karate customer is still playing his tricks with me (the check will be there, can you come back Monday, can you do the work and I will mail it to you).

I guess some people don't know a deal when the get one.

My fuse is wearing very short with him and I am trying everything to keep a smile on my face.
I always give commercial accounts 30 days to pay. Residential I make pay on spot. It does get frustrating when they give you the run around. If they continue to play games, get your money, then "drop em like its hot"
Thing of it is, this guy was a problem from day one. It was his idea after me dropping him the first time of him paying me COD. So I email him when his cleaning date will be and tell him the check amount, he emails me back saying sure the check will be there. I go on the date of the cleaning and ask for the check before I start the job and the clerk behind the counter looks at me like I have 3 eyes. So then he calls the other office and of course being a weekend the owner is not there, so now it's come back on Monday and I will have the check.

I hate to walk away from money, but I am getting very tired of this guys games.
I hear you Joe. That is very frustrating!

Rick Gelinas
The Encapman
Same here.

In fact, I don't even take checks from residential customers. Cash, credit or debit only.

As far as the karate guy goes, I would send him a certified letter demanding payment. Once you get your money, let him go.

(07-27-2013, 04:32 PM)ebarnett Wrote: I always give commercial accounts 30 days to pay. Residential I make pay on spot. It does get frustrating when they give you the run around. If they continue to play games, get your money, then "drop em like its hot"
It is frustrating for sure.

You've had difficulties with this guy from Day 1 and then as most of us probably would have you gave him the benefit of the doubt only to be given the run around again.

Drop this guy, he is not worth your frustrations, or the potential to not get paid. You wouldn't intentionally put your hand in a fire a third time after being burnt the first two times, bad customers are no exception IMHO.

cheers

Jamie
I take checks and credit/debit always welcome cash. I have had some checks bounce but have 100% recovery this year. This is not a normal year .......
I also accept Credit, Debit or cash however 3 weeks ago I had one that wanted to give me a company cheque for a residential job (said the company he worked for was covering his move), I stated that I don't accept cheques and that I had been burnt before (which is just a line I use to justify not accepting them) however he assured me it wouldn't be a problem. You guessed it. The cheque bounced and he moved interstate. Luckily for me the fellow involved was honorable (not like his cheque) and he paid me himself after a couple of text messages.

Lesson learnt definitely won't be accepting cheques for residential again.
I've been leaving residential invoices and accepting checks for over 30 years, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've been stiffed. I know its not the norm.
Awesome that you were able to collect!

(07-27-2013, 09:50 PM)Jamie Wrote: I also accept Credit, Debit or cash however 3 weeks ago I had one that wanted to give me a company cheque for a residential job (said the company he worked for was covering his move), I stated that I don't accept cheques and that I had been burnt before (which is just a line I use to justify not accepting them) however he assured me it wouldn't be a problem. You guessed it. The cheque bounced and he moved interstate. Luckily for me the fellow involved was honorable (not like his cheque) and he paid me himself after a couple of text messages.

Lesson learnt definitely won't be accepting cheques for residential again.
Yeah the guy was really good about it.

Shane, I'm sure you're right, but with Credit Card, debit Card and Cash all available I just don't find that not accepting cheques is an issue. Plus I don't have to deal with any potential issues.

Cheers

Jamie
If you really don't want to walk away from the work, have him pre pay.
Send/Email him an invoice the Monday before the work and if you have a check you do the work if not no reason to show up.

Might be a way to go
  Reply   Purge Spammer
company policy
30 days Net, but We need to have a company CC# on file in case there is a problem with payment. After thirty days a call is made to find out the situation 4 days after the CC is charged, plus a 3% late fee.

Since instituting this policy cash flow is better a few left a few came back, I am sure we have not gotten jobs because of it but at least I know we are getting paid. There are only two exception to this policy on is the Feds, they pay every 45 days and two management companies who pay us the 10th of every month for anything done in the previous month.
David, thats a great policy.