• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I buy used Challenger?
Meet a guy that has gone out of business. He saw my van, and asked me if I wanted to buy a used Challenger. 15'' 3/4 hp 4 years old that's in good shape. I'm starting to do more and more LM. I have a Orbot that I'm using now. Is a Challenger good to use for smaller houses with small rooms. I believe it weighs about the same as the Orbot. Didn't ask how much he wanted for the Challenger. I think the wheels off the ground makes it harder to handle in tight areas. Would it do a better job than a 13'' rotary?
For a Cleaner, Safer, and Healthier Indoor Environment
George it would do a better job than a 13 inch rotary in my opinion and maybe a bit easier to get around in small rooms than the orbot, but wheels off the floor makes it a little more difficult to run than the orbot and slower. I guess it just depends how cheap you can get it. Challenger is bullet proof, I will say that. I bought a used one about 12 years ago and it's still running strong.
Mike Becker
All-Dry Cleaning Services
Carpet Cleaning Mendota, IL
(06-10-2013, 08:55 AM)MikeB Wrote: George it would do a better job than a 13 inch rotary in my opinion and maybe a bit easier to get around in small rooms than the orbot, but wheels off the floor makes it a little more difficult to run than the orbot and slower. I guess it just depends how cheap you can get it. Challenger is bullet proof, I will say that. I bought a used one about 12 years ago and it's still running strong.

The Challenger is slower than a Orbot. I think the Orbot is slow.
For a Cleaner, Safer, and Healthier Indoor Environment
Challenger is a great macine. I had that same model and wish I never sol it.

Its small size is great for smaller jobs and I actually did stairs with mine. Depending on price, it would make a great back up.
for me it will out-clean an Orbot if the Orbot weight kit isn't attached.
I don't think the Challenger is so slow. Here is a vid of me using one in a church building. I know it wasn't trashed carpet but it hummed along pretty good. The section cleaned in the video is 300 or so sq. ft. This Challenger only has the 1/2 horse motor, the 3/4 horse would be better. Good machines.

How much is it? The Challenger is a great machine. If it's in good shape and it's well under a grand, it may be worth considering. Otherwise, it may be worth it to consider the Low Boy.
(06-10-2013, 09:13 PM)encapman Wrote: How much is it? The Challenger is a great machine. If it's in good shape and it's well under a grand, it may be worth considering. Otherwise, it may be worth it to consider the Low Boy.

Rick

I'm just curious to see if you came out with the wheel kit for the lowboy yet...?
(06-10-2013, 09:21 PM)Rob D Wrote: Rick

I'm just curious to see if you came out with the wheel kit for the lowboy yet...?

In fact we just finished it up on Friday. Shot a video today. Have a look...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DHhH4qyR36E
(06-10-2013, 09:30 PM)encapman Wrote:

That is truly impressive. I have talk to others that just added a axle with larger wheels and it was all over the place so you definitely resolved that issue with the spring tension arms. What a great idea so it will give it more of an independent movement similiar to other wheel on the ground machines. You should start a new thread with that video. Will the new item be on the online store soon?
(06-10-2013, 09:40 PM)Rob D Wrote:
(06-10-2013, 09:30 PM)encapman Wrote:

That is truly impressive. I have talk to others that just added a axle with larger wheels and it was all over the place so you definitely resolved that issue with the spring tension arms. What a great idea so it will give it more of an independent movement similiar to other wheel on the ground machines. You should start a new thread with that video. Will the new item be on the online store soon?

Explained here... http://forum.excellent-supply.com/thread-527.html